Well This Isn’t Surprising At All

A new study proved the obvious: politicians overestimate the conservatism of their constituents.

For example, a survey of voters found they supported gay marriage and universal health care by 10 percentage points more than their own politicians had estimated in a separate survey. For conservative politicians, the spread was near 20 percentage points.

I would wager this goes double for members of the press who think most Americans are fire-eating tea party zealots when, in fact, issue-by-issue Americans are center-left.

This entry was posted in Poll and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • trgahan

    A great example of two things in our current political climate: A) confirmation bias and B) volume trumps numbers.

    Think tanks and lobby groups spend millions to convince representatives that the desires of a few oligarchs reflect the public at large and the “townhalls” seem to only attract the frothiest, fearful hate-mongers who want scream at their representative.

    As for the media, center-left news reporting doesn’t sell ads. The tea party was quite literally made for TV.

    • Ned F

      Absolutely, the frothiest and fearful around here are sedentary retirees gorging on too much Fox and badgering their representatives. If you’re a congressman, it’s this group you hear from all the time.

      “The tea party was quite literally made for TV.”

      Indeed, like some kind of crappy daytime soap filled with repetitive and idiotic plots.

      Graf, enjoyed that post. However, I have to say it is very disheartening because I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. The truly worrisome thing is what happens when reality and the paracosm come into conflict. Those invested in the paracosm get violent and those in reality are so shocked by the violence and vehemence of the paracosm dwellers that they are unprepared for it. At least SOME of us will know what’s going on when it happens….not that it will do us much good.