Worst Person in the World

I didn’t even know this guy was still alive, but yeah. Lech Walesa, the 1980s champion of democracy in Poland for this:

Lech Walesa, Poland’s communist-era democracy campaigner, said homosexuals shouldn’t demand more rights and gay legislators should sit “behind a wall” in Parliament, the Wall Street Journal reports.

Said Welesa: “They need to know they are a minority and adjust to smaller things instead of rising to the greatest heights, taking peak time, organizing the biggest provocations designed to spoil others or pick up people from the majority.”

Behind a wall? Perhaps a curtain instead. An iron curtain.

Ugh. The Independent got it exactly right: he just totally shit on his own legacy.

This entry was posted in LGBT, Worst Persons and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    No surprise. Lech Walesa was always more anti-Soviet than pro-democracy, and his positions on social issues have always been reactionary.

      Ditto, didn’t surprise me in the least.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Yeah, he sold out the Solidarity Movement about five seconds after he became president. His legacy was nothing but a precursor to the austerity measures infecting much of Europe today.

  • Scopedog

    “he just totally shit on his own legacy.”

    Goddamnit…he sure did. I grew up seeing what this man did in Poland and what the Solidarity Movement achieved….but this is insane.