And This is a Bad Thing?

Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) thinks background checks will allow the government to create a national gun registry:

“Some of the proposals, like for example- universal background checks- would allow the federal government to surveil law-abiding citizens who exercise their Constitutional rights. One of the provisions we expect to see in the bill based on what we saw in the Judiciary Committee- on which I sit- would allow the Attorney General of the United States (Eric Holder) to promulgate regulations that could lead to a national registry system for guns. Something my constituents in Utah are very concerned about, and understandably so.”

And seriously — is a national gun registry bad? Or unconstitutional? Not that I know of.

This entry was posted in Guns and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    Apparently, a national gun registry is (like everything else) nothing more than a prelude to confiscation.

    See, if the government knows which citizens have guns, the government can go to those citizens’ houses and take them. But if the government doesn’t know which citizens have guns, then the government can’t go to anyone’s house to take their guns.

    And, if the government knows which citizens have guns, then those citizens can’t use those guns to shoot the government when it comes to their houses to take them. But if the government does not know which citizens have guns, then those citizens can use those guns to shoot the government when it comes to their houses to take them.

    So, if the government knows that you have a gun, it won’t be afraid of getting shot if it comes to your house to take your guns, so it will. But if the government doesn’t know whether you have a gun or not, then it will be afraid that you will shoot it if it comes to your house to take your guns, so it won’t.

    Or something.

    Also.

    • D_C_Wilson

      So instead, government orders a drone strike on your house and sends a hellfire missile down your chimney. But you still have your guns.

      Wolverines.

  • CodpieceWatch

    Mike Lee is one of the two senators I didn’t vote vote in Utah. He is nothing but a grandstander who has accomplished nothing except that short sale on his house. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rj-eskow/the-senator-and-jpmorgan_b_1551561.html

  • Madam1

    Recently in Santa Cruz two officers were gunned down when they showed up at a serial sex offenders house to bring him in for questioning for yet another sexual assault. This man was involved in numerous offenses and yet was still not only able to have firearms, the police officers, who both had families and were beloved members of our community, didn’t have know this repeat offender had several guns because there is no way to know without a registry.
    These needless deaths rocked our community and for the first time in the city’s history, two cops were murdered in cold blood, literally across the street from a pre-school. Perhaps if there was any indication that this guy was fully armed and dangerous, these families would still have their parent and the officers would have been better prepared for the ambush.
    This gun debate is making me sick!

    • D_C_Wilson

      This is America. We have a constitutional right to have the best armed criminals in the world!

    • Victor_the_Crab

      I threw up in my mouth a little lot reading that.

  • Mary Trapp

    Nothing to do with registry but what about allowing doctors and hospitals to talk to people about gun safety and violence. Allow them to ask if they have guns in the house, just like they ask now, if we ‘feel safe’ at home – they’re looking for domestic violence. Or even to have brochures available like they did for cigarettes or drunk driving.

  • formerlywhatithink

    There is nothing unconstitutional about a gun registry. For instance, freedom of travel is guaranteed by the Constitution. Yet, if you want to travel by automobile, you have to get a license and you listed into a registry. If you want to fly a plane, you need to get a license and you are listed in a registry. In my opinion, the “Well regulated” part of the 2nd Amendment (the part that gun fetishists always consciously ignore) settles the question of whether having a gun registry is constitutional or not. If the government doesn’t have a clue about who owns a firearm, that’s not very well regulated.

      Yeah, but you’re expecting them to use logic. And they’re obviously incapable of that.

  • Brutlyhonest

    But it’s ok to surveil law-abiding citizens who chose to talk on the phone. Or type in the inter-webs. Or peacefully protest.

    I’m really just tired of being outraged by how low these asshats continue to go.

  • Christopher Foxx

    The common analogy for guns (and a fair and good one it is) is to cars. Every car sold in the US has a VIN and license plate. If a car is used in a crime, it can be traced to it’s owner.

    Of course, we wouldn’t want that same capability with guns, now, would we?

  • r_dale

    Mikey Lee (R-short sale) is only interested in getting his mug in front of the Fox cameras, because at heart he’s a very insecure little man. He snuck into office on the tea tantrum wave, knowing that he’s not smart enough, so now he’s trying to make a name for himself by throwing tantrums. Even the republicans in Utah are embarrassed by this moke, but he’ll no doubt get re-elected because he wears the right magic underoos; he’s got the holy “R” after his name, and he’s got name recogniton (daddy Rex Lee was Solicitor of the US under St. Ronnie of the Rayguns, and founded the law school down’ta TH’BYuuu.)

  • 1933john

    Last time I looked, Holder and Obama are still black.