Bill O’Reilly Comes Out in Favor of Secular Government

Bill O’Reilly has always been a notorious opponent of secular government, spending years ridiculing the notion of secularism. I mean, just the other day he posted a column blasting secularism by name.

Just so we’re clear, here’s the definition of the word “secular:”

1
a : of or relating to the worldly or temporal
b : not overtly or specifically religious
c : not ecclesiastical or clerical
2
: not bound by monastic vows or rules; specifically : of, relating to, or forming clergy not belonging to a religious order or congregation

Our government is secular insofar as there’s a separation of church and state, but O’Reilly’s always been opposed to the idea. That is until the other night when he miraculously said the following to Laura Ingraham regarding same-sex marriage opponents:

“If you’re going to stand up for heterosexual marriage, and exclude gay marriage, if you’re going to do that, you’ve got to do it outside the Bible. You can’t cite the Bible because you’ll lose if you do. [...] We’re talking a policy deal here. Don’t you understand the difference between private beliefs and public policy?”

Oh! Oh! I do! Public policy is secular and private beliefs are religious and, as O’Reilly just said, you can’t use religious beliefs to justify public, secular laws. BLAM! Thanks, Bill. You just gave us all a big fat quote to use in a variety of different policy areas.

(Timecode 2:58)

This entry was posted in Fox News Channel, Religion and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • missliberties

    Please explain why, why, why liberals can’t seem to come up with these BLAM arguments to debunk idiots?

    For example the NRA train a security guard plan for public schools is a clever scheme to free tax payers from the money for the sake of fun sales to security.

  • muselet

    It won’t last. If too many people comment on this, Bill O’Reilly will spend several minutes on air to insist he didn’t say what he said, accuse liberals of lying and taking his words out of context—my money says he’ll claim he was merely saying what liberals would say, acting as devil’s advocate—and declare secularism the enemy of all that’s good and right in the world (maybe even more dangerous than Islamofascism!).

    His viewers will nod in agreement and never notice what he just stuffed down the memory hole.

      Thank God there’s Jon Stewart.

  • http://www.artisvaria.com/ Nanotyrnns

    Wait… Didn’t he say recently that Christianity is not a religion but a philosophy?

    He refers to a “secular display of Christmas.” He’s got to be making this shit up as he goes along.

  • D_C_Wilson

    I know Bill-O will eventually back away from this, but damn, it’s great to see him give a smack down to Laura Ingraham.