Canadian Terror Plot Foiled by Muslim Community

While certain voices in America spent the last week calling for restricting immigration for Muslims or even their deaths, Canadian authorities working in concert with American authorities uncovered a terrorist plot with the help of the local Muslim community in Toronto.

via ThinkProgress

News broke on Monday that the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) — in conjunction with U.S. law enforcement and intelligence officials — had foiled a plot targeting a railway between Toronto and New York. According to the RCMP, there was never an imminent danger from the plot, but the alleged perpetrators did have the desire and ability to follow through with their plans, which would target a passenger line between the two cities.

That plot, however, was only discovered thanks to a timely intervention from an imam based in Toronto. Worried that one of the suspects, Raed Jaser, was promoting extremist propaganda in his community, the imam — who remains anonymous — sounded an alarm with the Canadian Canadian Security Intelligence Service and RCMP over a year ago.

No, I don’t expect anyone who called for the death of all Muslims will repent because of this, but the rest of us can give thanks to a community that, if we’re being honest, has little reason to help us given the virulence of Islamophobia in America.

Several people were assaulted over the last week after local residents were enraged by bogus media reports that the primary suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing was a Saudi man.

The rantings of the Right do not help anyone. If anything, they may make it less likely that those with information will come forward.

This entry was posted in Terrorism, Wingnuts and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Christopher Foxx

    The rantings of the Right do not help anyone. If anything, they may make it less likely that those with information will come forward.

    Following 9/11 there were many stories of Muslims harshly questioned by law enforcement folks in abusive and presumption-of-guilt ways. And once the interviews were over and it was apparent the Muslims had nothing to hide, they’d be asked if they’d be willing to help with any future investigations.

    It speaks well of the Muslims questioned that their response wasn’t “Fuck off, asshole.”

  • Christopher Foxx

    I don’t expect anyone who called for the death of all Muslims will repent because of this,

    Erik Rush says “Yes, they’re evil. Let’s kill them all”. If asked, I’m sure he’d say that the reason they’re all evil is that they want to kill all Americans.

    The hypocrisy would, no doubt, completely escape him.

    • muselet

      Actually, he was called on it and made the usual Righty “I was being sarcastic, can’t you liberals take a joke?” excuse.

      Awful human being.

        I’d have far more respect for someone, even someone I otherwise despise, if they would just “Yeah, that was a stupid thing to say.”

        But to folks like Rush, admitting an error, even a small one, is unthinkable.

        Their insecurity knows no limits.