Conspiracy Theory

Is President Obama intentionally leaving the door open for more terrorist attacks? Todd Starnes of Fox News thinks so.

via Right Wing Watch

“The Federal Bureau of Investigation waited more than 48 hours before telling New York City police that the Boston marathon bombers had picked the Big Apple as their next target. That decision put lives at unnecessary risk because we have no idea who else might have been involved in the attack. That’s because the Justice Department pulled the plug on the interrogation of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, he clammed up when they read him his Miranda Rights. I’m beginning to wonder if the Obama administration thinks the moral high ground is having a bomb explode in the middle of Times Square rather than interrogate a terrorist to get information that might stop the attack. And why did the FBI ignore warnings that the Tsarnaev brothers were radical Muslims? I think the FBI stands for the Federal Bureau of Incompetence.”

By all accounts Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been cooperative with the FBI without the threat of torture, which Todd Starnes appears to be advocating. And considering that much of the information we have is thanks to Tsarnaev communicating with authorities, I can only assume that’s what Starnes means with his emphasized call for interrogation. He also appears to be implying that the Obama administration does not take security seriously and may even allow another attack to happen if it means not having to get their hands dirty.

The projection seems to be that liberals are pussies and that they don’t have what it takes to defend the public.

I would argue that not surrendering to our lizard brains or embracing our inner neanderthal is what requires real intestinal fortitude. Calling for the use of torture, a suspension of rights, military tribunals, and isolation at Guantanamo does not require courage or gumption. That is simple and easy.

If the threat of terrorism is what keeps you up at night, when it isn’t your responsibility to prevent it, you may want to check yourself before projecting your weakness onto others.

This entry was posted in Ethics, Security, Terrorism, Torture and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Christopher Foxx

    via Right Wing Watch

    Tsarnaev was questioned for sixteen hours before a magistrate judge read him his Miranda Rights once law enforcement officials determined there was no imminent danger to public safety.

    So they questioned him and he was co-operative. And then, when they determined he posed no imminent threat, they read him his rights. That is, they did interrogate him and held off reading him his rights until it was clear no other bombs were going to go off.

    Meanwhile, Starnes is complaining that they read him his rights while he still presented a danger. Which is simply not true.

    So, the “conservative” is complaining about the FBI doing what he wanted them to do. Par for the course.

      That’s not entirely accurate. Remember that the “conservative” in this case is a hypocritical asshole who doesn’t believe these guys *have* Miranda rights. The fact that they read him his rights at all is objectionable, in Starnes’s mind.

      • Christopher Foxx

        True. I’ve no doubt Starnes would have been fine if Tsarnaev had ben shipped directly to a waterboard plank in Gitmo.

        But complete disregard for reality shows in his complaining about the FBI and Obama not caring about a (hypothetical) bomb in Times Square when they didn’t Mirandize Tsarnaev until they were clear that wasn’t a problem.

  • i_am_allwrite

    As I listen to these numb fucks talk about sending this kid to gitmo and torturing him, I’m starting to realize that another bush-cheney legacy is that repubs believe the law should only apply to other people.

    • Christopher Foxx

      I’m not sure that’s a Bush-Cheney legacy. I think it goes back thru Ronald Ollie-North-is-a-patriot Reagan and at least as far back as Richard “when the President does it, that means that it is not illegal” Nixon.

  • muselet

    What’s a Todd Starnes when it’s at home? (More importantly, why should I care?)

      Largely harmless. Alas, he comes out of his home and has access to Fox.

  • js hooper

    Ask Bin Laden if Pres. Obama takes terrorists seriously.

    Fuck right wingers and firebaggers trying to use this tragedy as a stick to beat Obama with.