Fancy Ivy League Papers

Stephen Colbert tackles Reinhart and Rogoff and the global austerity fetish.

“2.2 percent up, 0.1 percent down. You say potato, I say eliminate food stamps.”

Colbert deserves our thanks for turning a boring, complicated, mathy topic into something entertaining that average people can understand.

This entry was posted in Comedy, Stephen Colbert and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    “Well, of course they didn’t share their data. If they can’t use Excel, I doubt they could send an email attachment.”

      Also, did you hear how the audience reacted to “it wasn’t peer reviewed”? Blows my mind that a non-peer reviewed paper with data that was not verified and a methodology that was not tested and a study that wasn’t replicated has affected the entire Global Economy. THIS is the perfect example of why the Scientific Method works and why we CAN trust the scientists and the sad truth is that many on the right will use it as yet another example of why scientists can’t be trusted. Plus, Al Gore is fat.

      • muselet

        I did. Stephen Colbert’s audience trends smart, but I really wasn’t expecting them to catch on that quickly or react that strongly. Most people don’t know from peer review but, amazingly enough, some people do get it.

        I expect the Right will react the same way Rogoff & Reinhart reacted: this interpretation is fully consistent with the paper’s conclusions. Of course, the general Righty reaction will be expressed using stuck-out tongues and thumbed noses …

        –alopeciaLeave a message…

          I’m not sure how Ren & Stimpy (to borrow a phrase) can still say they’re right. It’s about the math fer crying out loud. Why can’t people admit when they’re wrong? Are they conservative true believers first or scientists first?

          • muselet

            You already know the answer to that.

            Mea culpa on the snarky rhetorical question ;)