First Amendment: Skip Directly to Second Amendment

Republicans in North Carolina are so in love with the Bill of Rights — as long as we entirely ignore the First Amendment.

A bill filed by Republican lawmakers would allow North Carolina to declare an official religion, in violation of the Establishment Clause of the U.S. Bill of Rights, and seeks to nullify any federal ruling against Christian prayer by public bodies statewide. [...]

House Bill 494, a resolution filed by Republican Rowan County Reps. Harry Warren and Carl Ford, would refuse to acknowledge the force of any judicial ruling on prayer in North Carolina – or indeed on any Constitutional topic:

“The Constitution of the United States does not grant the federal government and does not grant the federal courts the power to determine what is or is not constitutional; therefore, by virtue of the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, the power to determine constitutionality and the proper interpretation and proper application of the Constitution is reserved to the states and to the people,” the bill states.

Then again, perhaps they’re simply overlooking the Establishment Clause the same way they overlook the “well-regulated militia” part of the Second Amendment. In fact, it’s a Republican glitch to swear allegiance to things like the Bible and only pick and choose what they hold as sacrosanct.

This entry was posted in Religion, Republican Party and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    These people are like kids that keep asking the same question but in different ways hoping that you’ll be fooled by the difference in terminology. It’s all bullshit wrapped in a bow.

  • http://twitter.com/themikewest Michael J. West

    Honestly, as a native North Carolinian, I am not so worried about this, strange as it sounds. I am not worried because, while this will never stand up in court, it served as a convenient distraction yesterday while North Carolina also repealed the Racial Justice Act (forbidding executions on the basis of race), moved to block college kids from registering to vote in NC, and confirmed an anti-gay activist to the state Education Board. Oh, and introduced a proposal to privatize Medicaid.

    Yes, all that YESTERDAY, while we were wringing our hands over a religion bill that will almost certainly never come into effect.

    • http://www.facebook.com/frederic.poag Frederic Poag

      They do the same kind of thing in TN. Put out a bill that you know will fail, but will get a lot of attention and then quietly pass a bunch of horrible shit. It’s the new GOP model.

    • ninjaf

      I currently live in NC and thought my head was going to explode yesterday. It was mind boggling all of the stuff that was going on. I was hoping I had gone through some sort of worm hole and was living in an alternate universe. Sadly, no. This is real.

      I have been trying very hard to give the new Republican Governor and State Legislature the benefit of the doubt but they have proven that they do not deserve that. They can’t be trusted. Period.

  • D_C_Wilson

    To be fair, they aren’t big fans of Amendments 3-9 either. They like the tenth, but only because they think it’s a “ignore the rest of the Constitution free” card.

    • bphoon

      It’s amazing to me that these folks are so darned patriotic that they’ll abrogate the Constitution and advocate overthrowing the federal government and the assassination of the President in order to get their way.

      With patriots like these, we need no domestic enemies.