First Post

April 19, 2013

Artist – Adam Zyglis

In other news, Boy Scouts of America is considering allowing gay scouts to join the organization, but not gay scout leaders. The obvious implication is that they believe gay scout leaders are at risk of being pedophiles.

Classy.

I glanced at the cable news networks this weekend but I had to turn them off after a few minutes because ridiculous speculation is not what I consider to be news. And even though Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is reportedly sedated and unable to speak, every “expert” they can stick in front of a camera is convinced that he’s a hardened Jihadist who was trained overseas.

Maybe they’re right. Or maybe he was just a naive kid. “Othering” him by painting him as a radicalized foreigner (despite the fact that he’s an American citizen) is a convenient way of packaging the story that allows viewers to look outward rather than inward and avoid recognizing that our own society is more than capable of breeding maniacs.

This entry was posted in Open Thread, The Media and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • i_a_c

    Tim Wise was right, again.

    • http://www.facebook.com/frederic.poag Frederic Poag

      That does happen. I gotta say I like Tim Wise where I don’t really care for Sirota.

      • i_a_c

        The difference is that Tim Wise made anti-racism his life’s work whereas Sirota just uses the term “white privilege” as an invective to hurl around at people who disagree with him.

  • missliberties

    The rush by the right to paint all muslims as evil, all devotees of Islam as bad, seems so wrong.

    Aren’t there many flavors of Islam as there are Christianity? To swipe at all of them as evil seems ludicrous to me. It would be like saying all Catholics are right wingers, which is just not true.

    The Boy Scouts’ proposal looks like an unsustainable half-measure. I predict they’ll soon cave on gay scout leaders too.

    As for cable news, I was forced to watch half an hour of CNN yesterday. At least the sound was off. I’d suggest to CNN that they follow their real dream and become a graphics design company, but they suck at that too.