Newtown Gun Store Violated Regulations Over 500 Times in 2011

Riverview Gun Sales (WFSB)

Riverview Gun Sales (WFSB)

According to a local news station, the store that sold weapons to the family of the Sandy Hook shooter lost it’s license to sell guns following literally hundreds of violations of the law.

EAST WINDSOR, CT (WFSB) -Eyewitness News has learned more about a Connecticut gun shop that sold two of the weapons found at the scene of the Newtown school shooting. [...]

The reasons Riverview Gun Sales lost its federal firearms license were laid out in a 12-page document by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

The ATF says losing the license is pretty rare and last year, it revoked only about 1 percent of them.

The document states the agency inspected and found violations at Riverview in 2007, 2009, and 2011.

During the one in 2011, “the licensee committed over 500 violations,” ATF documents stated.

The ATF inspection in 2011 revealed that Riverview employees:

  • Allowed a man who said he was a felon to buy ammo and handle firearms.
  • Let someone buy a firearm and didn’t do background check until the next day.
  • Sold firearms to two people without checking if they were prohibited from buying.

My take away from this story is that it’s damn near impossible to lose your license to sell guns. Even if you have violated regulations hundreds or thousands of times, the chances of being shut down are incredibly slim. You have to be an utterly inept business owner to lose your license to sell guns. A complete fuckup. And then, maybe, you will lose your license.

What this says to me is that our laws are criminally lax, the ATF is toothless, and there are colossal amounts of unfunded liability just floating out there.

This is on all of us.

This entry was posted in Guns and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    In a general kind of way, this isn’t really news (at least to me). However it’s a great specific point to use when I debate the gun nuts that surround me. That being said, I keep coming back to this point–that law enforcement couldn’t go out there and confiscate guns even with a National Gun Registry. LEO’s can barely keep their communities safe from every day harm much less mobilize on a massive scale to disarm the populace. The military? That’s another matter. But our police? No, simply not going to happen. Why the paranoid gun nuts don’t understand that is a mystery to me.

  • http://profiles.google.com/sadiejmorgan Sadie Morgan

    Violations won’t get a place shut down – just getting caught having sold a mass-murderer multiple weapons will get it closed.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    You can just picture Wayne LaPierre and the NRA trying to rectify this “moral outrage” over the poor gun store losing its license to sell firearms.