Note to American People: Republicans Hold State Office, Too

Interesting results from the new Washington Post ABC News poll:

Just 23% of Americans believe the Republican Party is “in touch with the concerns of most people in the United States today,” while 70% believe that it is “out of touch.” Among independents, those numbers are 23% to 70%. Among moderates they’re 20% to 75%.

The problem, however, is that Americans seem to be voting all kinds of Republicans into state-level offices. 30 out of 50 states have Republican governors, even though voters seem to believe they’re out of touch. Perhaps it’s because they associate the party with Congress. I don’t know, but it’s a little confounding.

This entry was posted in Republican Party and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • missliberties

    I know many Democrats who fill out the top slot when they vote, and ignore the lower offices.

    One woman I helped to vote, said, I don’t care about the rest of what is going on I just want Obama to be President. This can be a huge mistake and could be fixed with more voter education.

  • muselet

    As I’ve said before, I have voted for Rs, back when there were sensible and moderate Rs. Now, though, even candidates for technocratic positions like state insurance commissioner have to prove themselves ideologically pure to the looniest of the Righty loons.

    If and when the GOP recovers from its current madness, I’ll consider their candidates again. Until then, though, not a chance.

    Part of it is the media. With local newspapers dying, a lot of state and local news falls through the cracks. We’ve become too fixated on the national level and many people aren’t aware of how much damage is being done by the state republicans. Even the local TV news programming devotes a large chunk of their time to recapping the top national stories. After sports and weather, they hardly have time left to cover state and local events.

    • muselet

      The Los Angeles area is the largest population center in the state. None of the local stations—not even the network affiliates and owned-and-operateds—has had a Sacramento bureau for decades. To its credit, the LA Dog Trainer does half-heartedly cover state politics, emphasis on half-heartedly.

      Depressing, it is.

        I live in the metro area of our wonderful bankrupt capital city, which is something like the 8th or 9th largest media market in the state. For us, state politics is local news, but if you go to our two biggest markets, Philly and Pittsburgh, and it’s amazing how little coverage of state politics trickles out there.