Obama’s Social Security Cuts Gaining Popularity with GOP?

The Washington Post via Taegan Goddard:

President Obama’s “offer to trim Social Security benefits has perplexed and angered Democrats, but GOP leaders are embracing the proposal and rushing to jump-start a debate that will delve even more deeply into the touchy topic of federal spending on the elderly,” the Washington Post reports.

No sir, I don’t like it. Stay tuned.

This entry was posted in President Obama, Social Security. Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://profiles.google.com/rollotamasi13 Rollo Tamasi

    But, Bob, you left out the other part of the compromise. The revenue. Is raising taxes gaining popularity with the GOP?

    Are you actually saying that you believe that the changes to SS gets passed without any revenue? I’d like to hear you go on record with that.

  • i_a_c

    So what, they’re going to vote on Chained CPI without coupling it with tax increases?

    Good. They’ll dig their own graves. This is maybe the best possible outcome. Democrats should vote no.

  • JMAshby

    Except the president’s proposal contains $750 billion in revenue according to the Tax Policy Center, so whether they like chained CPI or not is probably immaterial. I have strong doubts we’ll see any new revenue for the next 3-6 years.

  • flipyrwhig

    The Republicans’ base is cranky, fearful old white people. I hope they do decide to cut them off. Make them fight for scraps along with everyone else and see what happens next.

  • mrbrink

    On the surface, I don’t like it either, but by putting this on the table the President has demonstrated by example how to kick-start democracy in its ass. Bully pulpit, indeed. This debate needed to be raised as a measure of Americans. He’s drawn an economic Mason-Dixon line for dummies. If this is chess, I think the president is calling “check.”

    • MrDHalen

      BINGO!!! Mr.brink, I believe after the President’s 2nd term and he’s out of office, he’s going to have a lot to say to the American public about our care-free attitude of “what happens in Washington, stays in Washington!”. I still remember him stating “make me do it”, as to the type of President he wanted to be. My great disappointment is not in how Obama has let “us” down, but how the American people sent one of our own who wanted to change Washington and left him to fight the wolves on his own.