Quote of the Morning

“Why have we been arguing about marriage? We have been so foolish…it is not about gays, it is not about homosexuals, it is not about any of them. It is about freedom and the reason why they have won is because they have made it about freedom! And freedom, everyone basically understands freedom. That more freedom, not less, and so the argument has been ‘Who are you to tell me what I can and can not do?’ And by saying ‘Well because it always is! What’s happened?,’ you’ve lost, and by doing so, by not turning into it soon enough, what’s happened is you’ve been painted into a corner of a bigot! That’s why they have won, because the principle of it is right. The principle is easy to understand. Who are you to say?” Glenn Beck

So O’Reilly (though he doesn’t realize it) and Beck appear to be supporting same-sex marriage now. Again, it’s staggering how far we’ve come since the dismal results of the 2004 election.

This entry was posted in Glenn Beck, Quote and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    Glenn Beck actually tried to make a point without mentioning Hitler or Nazis? I’m astonished!
    I can’t help but see Glenn Beck (much more than I see O’Reilly in this capacity) as a sort of High School cheerleader that decides to cheer for the opposing team when it’s inevitable that his team is going to lose. Anyone feel the same way?

    • trgahan

      Well, Beck and the rest of the morning zoo conservative entertainment complex do this on pretty much every issue. Soon we will be hearing about how conservatives wanted to allow gays to marry the whole time and it was LIBERALS! who hijacked the issue to score political points.

  • Ipecac

    “We have been so foolish…it is not about gays, it is not about
    homosexuals, it is not about any of them. It is about freedom and the
    reason why they have won is because they have made it about freedom!”

    Duh. Finally some reason shines through.

    Of course, it will take them much longer to realize that same thing about women’s rights.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Well, we’re getting there. Everyone is realizing that there’s no good reason not to have marriage equality, or to reserve legal marital status exclusively for male-female couples. And I think they’re also realizing that “Because marriage is [X],” or “marriage has always been [X] only,” is no better an answer than “Because God said so.”

  • Lady Willpower

    I’ve always said that a TRUE conservative would keep their noses out of marriage entirely. Conservatism is supposed to be about freedom and letting people do what they want. Key word is “supposed.”

    • mrbrink

      I hear that a lot, and I get it, but it just never sits right with me.

      The idea that Conservatism could ever take the gold medal spot from Liberalism on the Equality Olympics podium would be the greatest injustice to the idea of a participation trophy ever conceived.

      • Lady Willpower

        Well, let’s not go crazy.

  • muselet

    If Glenn Beck is taking baby steps toward supporting marriage equality, kudos to him. Call me a cynic, but I don’t see that happening, at least not yet.

    The way both Bill O’Reilly and Beck frame the issue sounds to me like they’re trying to get opponents to come up with better arguments, not that they’re accepting marriage equality as either inevitable or desirable.

    –alopecia