Worst Persons in the World

If you are an adult and you tell a hungry kid they have to dump their lunch in the garbage because they’re 5 cents short — you’re a horrible person.

Students at an Attleboro, Massachusetts, middle school went hungry this week, if they had a negative balance on their pre-paid lunch cards.

Five cents of debt was enough for cafeteria employees at the Coehlo Middle School to instruct kids at least one day this week to dump out the food they would have normally eaten, CNN affiliate WJAR in Rhode Island reported.

About 25 children left the lunchroom with empty stomachs, said Whitson’s Culinary Group in a statement. The company runs the school’s cafeteria.

Actually, if you tell anyone that they have to throw their food in the garbage and go hungry because they’re a few cents shorts — you’re a dick.

Meanwhile, legislators in Tennessee are pushing a bill to make Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) dependent upon the grades of children who benefit from it.

The bill is sponsored by Sen. Stacey Campfield, R-Knoxville, and Rep. Vance Dennis, R-Savannah. It calls for a 30 percent reduction in Temporary Assistance for Needy Families benefits to parents whose children are not making satisfactory progress in school.

Children of poor families are already at a severe disadvantage in academia relative to children from middle and upper class families, and linking welfare to their performance in school is equivalent to twisting the knife after it’s already been jabbed in.

The fact that few very people in America have children of school age may make it easy to propose punishing someone else’s kids because their parents are poor, but that doesn’t make it right and it qualifies you to be counted among the world’s worst persons.

This entry was posted in Education, Food, Worst Persons and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    After this little stunt, Whitson’s Culinary Group deserves to go out of business.

    And Stacey Campfield and Vance Dennis are sadists.

    –alopecia

  • http://www.facebook.com/frederic.poag Frederic Poag

    Seriously who the fuck does that? $0.05? Really? What happened to customer service? What happened to having just a little bit of compassion? This is what happens when you give a private company a monopoly over what is essentially a public service and then let them operate however they’d like.

    These people qualify as sociopaths. I hope that someday they are forced to endure hunger. Utterly fucking loathsome human beings.

    • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

      X2!
      Damn! those are some heartless and cruel assholes to do that to anyone, let alone children.

  • D_C_Wilson

    That’s a genius policy there. Some of the kids are short in their accounts? Let’s just waste the fucking food! That’ll save the district money!

  • http://twitter.com/tlavely Tony Lavely

    Update, FWIW, The company has apologized profusely and said a) workers would be terminated, and b) kids would eat free for one or more days next week, no matter their balance. (One or more depends on the report you read.) The school district is also investigating, as admins may have been present also.
    Love me some Zero Tolerance! And Freedom to… something.

    • nathkatun7

      Too little too late in my humble opinion! I am sure the workers being terminated did not make decisions on their won to deny the children food because they couldn’t pay.

  • nathkatun7

    I am sure Sen. Stacey Campfield and Rep. Vance Dennis claim to be very good Christians. I am also certain that they were voted into office by people who regard themselves as devout Christians. It’s really sad that a great many of modern day people who claim to be followers of Jesus Christ– the same Jesus Christ who preached peace, love and caring for the poor and the sick– have absolutely no regard for the poor. They are also some of the most hateful people. Unlike Jesus who devoted his ministry to caring for the poor, the sick and the downtrodden, the modern outspoken followers of Jesus Christ are more devoted to taking care of the interests of the rich and the privileged, and in promoting hatred of people who do not share their beliefs.