As Ugly As It Gets

According to ThinkProgress, the ghost of Karl Rove 2000 has returned to South Carolina in 2013 in the form of a push-poll implying that Elizabeth Colbert Busch is a reckless spender who had an abortion.

Here’s the probably-focus-tested questions the push poll is asking residents:

- “What would you think of Elizabeth Colbert Busch if I told you she had had an abortion?”
- “What would you think of Elizabeth Colbert Busch if I told you a judge held her in contempt of court at her divorce proceedings?
- “What would you think of Elizabeth Colbert Busch if she had done jail time?”
- “What would you think of Elizabeth Colbert Busch if I told you she was caught running up a charge account bill?”

It shouldn’t matter even if she has had an abortion at some point in her life, but it’s obvious that these questions were designed to smear Busch and paint her as unsavory in a number of ways. It’s slanderous and misogynistic.

I’d like to know who paid for this. I’d also like to know how they sleep at night knowing that they’re making these implications seemingly on behalf of Mark “Appalachian Trail” Sanford. A man who flew out of the country to cheat on his wife on the taxpayer dime and faced 37 ethics charges because of it.

This entry was posted in Ethics, Mark Sanford and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://doran.pacifist.net/ Doran

    They’re going after her for “running up a charge account bill”? Really? Sounds beyond desperate. I hope voters there see it for what it is, since it’s pretty obvious.

  • Christopher Foxx

    “Why are you saying we’re lying about Clobert Busch? We’re not saying she actually did any of those things. We’re only asking what folks would think of her if she had.”

    Just getting the Republican justification out of the way so the trolls don’t have to.

  • burbank_burt

    ““What would you think of Mark Sanford if I told you he had torched a litter of cuddly kittens?”

    • Victor_the_Crab

      I’d say I wouldn’t be shocked.

    • Christopher Foxx

      “What would you think of Mark Sanford if he stole public funds to visit his mistress?”

    • D_C_Wilson

      “What would you think of Mark Sanford if I told you that, as governor, he disappeared for thee days without informing his family or the Lt. Governor where he was going and, when he came back,made a lame excuse that he was ‘hiking the Appalachian Trail’ when he was actually in Argentina visiting his mistress?”

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Do these knuckleheads not realize that she’s the brother of Stephen Colbert? Do they not realize what he can verbally do to them on his show?

    • D_C_Wilson

      Well, it’s Sandford’s campaign, so we can safely assume they’re all as stupid as he is.