Bob Woodward Has To Go Back To Watergate

It’s all Watergate, man!

Bob Woodward on Morning Joe recently continues to parlay his one career highlight into a media job where he comes on to tell everyone how Nixonian everything is, and how the Obama administration’s handling of the CIA Benghazi talking points is, to quote Bob Woodward’s ghost:

And I have to go back 40 years to Watergate when Nixon put out his edited transcripts to the conversations, and he personally went through them and said, “Oh, let’s not tell this, let’s not show this.”

Media Matters points out that there are three obvious flaws in Woodward’s, and everyone else’s comparison between Watergate and the Benghazi talking points:

1) The transcripts he’s talking about were of Oval Office meetings on Watergate and were given to Congress in response to their subpoena of tapes of those meetings. That’s simply nothing like edits made to a set of talking points to be used in media appearances.

2) The edits he’s talking about were made by Nixon himself. Nothing remotely resembling evidence of Obama’s involvement in the Benghazi talking points has been revealed.

3) The edits removed evidence of Nixon’s possibly criminal behavior. No one has alleged that any crime was committed by the administration with regard to Benghazi.

The willful ignorance is simply awe-inspiring in all of its shameless splendor. The Republican party and Bob ‘Watergate’ Woodward are demanding to know the truth! about the changes made to those e-mails(changes they all insinuate came from President Obama himself)over the Benghazi attack, and where those changes came from!

But demanding to know the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help them Republican Jesus, would carry a little more intellectual honesty weight if Republicans weren’t out there actually doctoring those very same White House e-mails on Benghazi and using their edits to purposefully mislead the American press and the American people. In other words, Republicans are doing what they are falsely accusing the White House of doing– and worse– and yet, nobody is seeking to jail Republicans responsible for violating the public trust.

But Woodward knows this all stinks to high Watergate Heaven. He knows what this is all about. Woodward knows why Republicans need to get this right, which is to restore the confidence the American people have been told to lose in President Obama, saying,

I would not dismiss Benghazi. It’s a very serious issue. As people keep saying, four people were killed.

Four people were killed? It’s difficult to see all of this concern for dead Americans behind the opportunistic political witch hunt.

President Obama said the other day in regard to the recklessly idiotic comparisons to Watergate, “You can go ahead and read the history, I think, and draw your own conclusions.”

I’m sorry, what? I was distracted by the Hitler mustache the Republican party drew on those conclusions.

This entry was posted in Benghazi, Far-right Intellectual Violence, History, Libya, Lying Liars, Morning Joe, President Obama, Quote, Republican Party, Security, The Media, White House, Wingnuts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    jesus. I made the mistake of watching ‘Face the Nation’ this morning. John Cornyn was on spewing utter bullshit about Obama. Scott Pelley barely said a damn word.

    Now I remember why I hate the Sunday shows, and stopped watching because I got tired of screaming at the tv.

    Miserable, shamelessly lying NON-patriots.

    • mrbrink

      Yeah, I saw that. “A culture of cover ups and intimidation,” he says.

      The psychological projection is deafening.

        “The psychological projection is deafening.”

        absolutely.

    • muselet

      It’s better not to watch the Sunday yak shows, and let Charlie Pierce summarize what the gobshites—his word, not mine—had to say. It’s less stressful.

        Honestly, I usually do avoid the damn things.

        Alas, I am back to not watching, so thanks for the tip re Pierce.

  • Nefercat

    I am confident that if asked and not given the opportunity to crank up the google machine, not one of the yammering dolts in congress or Wingnutsylvania could name even one of the “four brave dead Americans” they keep going on about. Because they really don’t care about those four dead Americans any more than they care about the thousands of people dead due to republican policies.

  • muselet

    Bob Woodward punched well above his weight, once, four decades ago. Now he’s trying to show he’s still relevant, still a powerful and well-connected reporter who deserves to be taken seriously.

    He’s become Al Bundy, someone who peaked early and clings desperately to that success.

    Woodward should concentrate on being the best associate editor the Washington Post has ever had and stop pretending he has much of anything of importance to say as a reporter.

    –alopecia

    • eljefejeff

      ‘He’s become Al Bundy, someone who peaked early and clings desperately to that success.’

      “I scored 4 touchdowns in one game!”

      • muselet

        Thank Ghu someone got the reference.

        –alopecia

  • Lady Willpower

    “And I have to go back 40 years to Watergate, the only time I was ever relevant. It’s all I know how to do.”

  • D_C_Wilson

    It some ways, it does all go back to Watergate, because ever since then, republicans have desperately been trying to drive a democratic president of office the way Nixon was.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      What’s interesting about Watergate was that moderate Republicans went along with impeaching Nixon for his role in the scandal. A far, far different political climate than the one that exists now, where today’s hyper partisanship would have kept Nixon in office.