Chris Christie: Climate Change Denier, Hater of “Liberal Public Radio”

When asked if New Jersey Transit should have been more prepared for the effects of climate change ahead of Hurricane Sandy, Governor Chris Christie had this to say.

“Well, first of all, I don’t agree with the premise of your question because I don’t think there’s been any proof thus far that Sandy was caused by climate change,” Christie said, as residents and officials from Lavallette clapped. “But I would absolutely expect that that’s exactly what WNYC would say, because you know liberal public radio always has an agenda. And so since I disagree with the premise of your question I don’t feel like I have to answer the rest of it.”

Damn that liberal public radio and their intention to ask if I’m going to take any steps to save their worthless lives ahead of the next monster frankenstorm.

Aside from denying the effects of climate change, which most experts agree has played a role in recent freak weather events such as Hurricane Sandy, Christie also demonstrated with his response that he doesn’t even understand climate change.

Climate change does not “cause” an event like Hurricane Sandy, it simply makes it worse. Climate change increase the amount of energy and destructive force a storm can unleash and increases the risk of flood because of elevated water levels. It contributes to all of the factors than can exacerbate the unstable situations in which super storms develop.

If there is an agenda at play by asking Governor Christie if local authorities should prepare for the worst, it’s to limit the future human and financial cost of natural disasters.

This entry was posted in Chris Christie, Environment and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • D_C_Wilson

    Christie needs to boost his conservative cred if he expects to make primary voters forget that he said nice things about the Evil Kenyan Usurper ™ by 2016.
    That’s the real agenda at play here.

  • Brutlyhonest

    …as residents and officials from Lavallette clapped.

    And there’s the real problem

    • trgahan

      Exactly!

      It is now required for conservative politicians be on record as believing climate change is, at best, not real or, at worst, a liberal hoax designed to destroy the American way of life. Christie’s comment falls nicely in between and is what the crowd he is talking to desperately wants to hear so they can justify their lifestyles.

      • Christopher Foxx

        This is what happens when leaders don’t lead.

        I get that one should represent their constituents. But that means looking out for their better interests, not just blindly encouraging their ignorance.

  • mrbrink

    When I hear people in authority disparaging people who are not, at the expense of facts and reason, no less, I consider that a deal breaker every time. He’ll be a fat head no matter how much his stretched out skin melts off his face.