Don’t Tread On My Backers

DontTreadOnBackers

Artist – David Fitzsimmons

We have a candidate for Hypocrite of the Week.

Rep. Stephen Fincher (R-TN) agitated against food aid for poor Americans included in the Farm Bill during last week’s House Agricultural Committee debate, accusing the government of stealing “other people’s money.” [...]

While Fincher interprets food assistance for the needy as “stealing,” he has not similarly condemned the Farm Bill’s massive agricultural subsidies. In fact, he supported a proposal to expand crop insurance by $9 billion over the next 10 years. Fincher has a great personal stake in maintaining these particular government handouts, as the second most heavily subsidized farmer in Congress and one of the largest subsidy recipients in Tennessee history.

To recap — SNAP benefits for the poor is an example of the government ‘stealing other people’s money,’ but providing subsidies to rich congressmen like Fincher is alright.

I’m glad we’re on the same page.

    The word “evil” comes to mind.

      Yeah. Along with ‘just another mfkg asshat rich Republican pandering to the rich and hating on the poor’.

    • mrbrink

      That’s just a word they reserve for people who do things like take food from the poor to feed to their pigs.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    When the revolution comes, greedy evildoers like Stephen Fincher will be one of the first ones to have hot lead poured right down their throats.

  • http://twitter.com/democatsanddogs Democats and Demodog

    Do you have any compassion? I have been gerrymandered into your district from Steve Cohen’s and I will be voting against you, as will many more in the neighborhood now that we know your voting record. I will be spreading the word, and in 2014 be putting your opponents sign in my yard. You may be in a majority white district, but there are quite a few liberals, and lots of republicans who do not like the tea party.

  • mr spork

    Stephen Fincher is another one of those “It’s ok for me to get government help, but not ok for you” Republicans. Unfortunately, he’s my Representative. I didn’t vote for him and never will. Hopefully the Democrats will field a viable opponent in the next election.

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Douglas-Jones/1039564193 Douglas Jones

    His opposition to SNAP benefits are not in his personal business interests, either. SNAP helps maintain the market prices of farm animals and crops. If poor people were prevented from being able to afford the paltry amount of food they gain from farms, Fincher wouldn’t earn the prices he currently makes for his goods.
    So, he’s too stupid to seek a full set of policies to fully serve his greed.

    • Christopher Foxx

      You’re suggesting a Republican should see beyond their immediate short term interests?

      Yeah, not gonna happen.