God, Guns and Santorum

God gave us the right to own guns, says Rick Santorum:

Rick Santorum on Friday told the National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action that Americans’ rights – like the right to bear arms – “come from God, because you are a creation of a loving God, and you have dignity because of that.”

The former Republican presidential candidate, speaking at an annual NRA-ILA leadership forum conference, contrasted the United States with countries in Europe, which he said have a “secular, dying culture” with few rights. Santorum also referenced the French Revolution as a “godless” revolution, in contrast to the American Revolution, which was apparently approved by God. In other words, “God is on our side.”

Former senator Santorum said President Barack Obama’s administration seeks to fundamentally change the United States by removing the influence of Christianity in the military and in public schools. Obama was re-elected by a “small minority” that “infiltrate elite institutions,” Santorum said, encouraging NRA members to “fight back” against legislative changes initiated by the White House.

Yes, God and the Constitution are all about the right to buy products. Speaking of which, I wonder which gun would’ve been Jesus’ favorite?

This entry was posted in Guns, Religion and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Nefercat

    Loathsome reptiles.

  • Scopedog

    Man…so Santorum has to pull out the G-word yet again and make an ass (and an embarrassment) out of himself. I mean, I’m a pretty liberal Catholic, but I do wish that people like Santorum who spout out God to justify their nonsense would get struck by lightning.

    I mean, that would be an act of God, right? ;D

    • Nefercat

      Reminds me of the old Farside cartoons with God peering at his computer monitor, finger poised over the “Smite” button.

    • Christopher Foxx

      but I do wish that people like Santorum who spout out God to justify their nonsense would get struck by lightning.

      I mean, that would be an act of God, right?

      So why doesn’t God do that?

      • hanadora444

        Like the line in that movie “Frida.” Characters are saying what they’d like to say to Gad and Frida says, “I tell him he’s got a lot of explaining to do.”

  • trgahan

    I am only reading about Jesus saying a lot of stuff like loving neighbors, embracing your enemy, forgiveness, and doing unto the least as you would do unto him.

    Haven’t read anything about needing an AR-15 with 100 round clip to protect your trailer for when “it” happens and the minorities come for “Real Americans!”…I’ll keep looking, it would be lying for Santorum to say such things if Jesus didn’t actually say them. There is a lot in here about that being REALLY bad…

  • Ipecac

    Christianity! You’re doing it wrong.

  • mrbrink

    The AR-15 is there for when Jesus’s love, strength, courage, kindness, and goodness fails them.

    “Why have you forsaken ME?!”

    That could be an ad: Your God might fail you, but an AR-15 will be right by your side. And with open carry now being encouraged in Church, might I suggest a customized semi-automatic with an engraved crucifix? Jesus would want it that way. I’m sure he’s mentioned it a million times.

    It’s always amazing to me that the religious zealots who say they believe in heaven and hell are so fearful of everything. They should be walking down the street like they’ve got invisible body armor, or a keen sense of awareness at the very least.

    If everything’s part of God’s plan and God’s blessings and God’s creation… why the gun?

  • muselet

    Welcome to the 2016 presidential campaign, ladies and gentlemen.

    –alopecia

  • http://twitter.com/Auld_Mac Auld_mac

    Rick Santorum says, “Gott mit uns”! Crowd of crypto-christo-fascists cheers. Good times man, good times….

  • Claude Weaver

    Considering a big cause of the French Revolution was King Louis emptying the country’s coffers to, amongst other thing, help fight the American Revolution for us, and that ours was a big inspiration for theirs, how “godless” could they really have been?

    Jeez, this guy really went full psycho after losing the nomination, huh?

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Yo Rick, God called. He wanted to tell you to shut the fuck up and stop using His name to endorse your apocalyptic wackaloon vision of America before he sends his only Son down to kick your sorry ass, like he did the money lenders.

  • http://nhprogressives.wordpress.com John Ranta

    Imteresting that Santorum thinks that Obama’s impressive election victory is nothing more than a “narrow minority”. Wordsmithing par excellence, allowing Santorum to ignore a significant democratic, electoral decision…