GOP Refuses to Even Debate the Federal Budget

Senate Republicans are quietly killing the chance that anything other than continuing resolutions will be used to fund the government for the foreseeable future.

Senator Ted Cruz kicked things off yesterday.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) slammed Texas Sen. Ted Cruz (R) for being a “schoolyard bully” on the Senate floor Monday, after Cruz blocked an effort to move forward on budget negotiations Republicans in the House and Senate have demanded for the past four years.

And Mitch McConnell made it official today.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) objected Tuesday to Sen. Patty Murray’s (D-WA) request to begin House-Senate conference negotiations to resolve the differences between the two budgets the chambers passed.

McConnell objected because Murray declined to pre-set ground rules that the outcome of the negotiations not raise taxes or lift the debt ceiling. In other words, McConnell and Republians want to establish the rules in advance so that they can’t lose the debate.

This is not about voting on a budget. This is about reconciling and debating what should be included in it. The Republicans are objecting to even debating what should be included.

If only President Obama would display some leaderly leadership and lead, or take Mitch McConnell out for a beer, the Republicans would agree to begin debating the budget, right? Of course.

There are nice things out there and this is why we can’t have them.

This entry was posted in Congress, Economy, Senate and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    “There are nice things out there and this is why we can’t have them.”

    You mean like an efficient, functional, and visionary government? As long as there are narcissistic douche-nozzles like Ted Cruz and that goggle eyed cocksucker Mitch McConnell around it isn’t going to happen.

    • Eric Reed

      What’d John McCain call him, a wacko bird?

  • SlapFat

    For as long as they leave the filibuster procedural rules untouched stuff like this will keep happening There’s so much less to this than anyone is willing to admit. And I have no idea why.

    • D_C_Wilson

      In other words, so long as Harry Reid is unable to find his balls. He’s tried the “handshake deal” to avoid abuse of the filibuster twice now and twice we’ve seen what a handshake from McChinless is worth.

      Nothing.

      • SlapFat

        I honestly don’t know what the hold up is. Need to fix the House of Representatives? Vote out the Republicans, fellow Americans! Need to fix the Senate? Why, then reform or eliminate the filibuster!

        It seems we’re really on the same page with this, my friend D.C. Wilson.

  • muselet

    Steve Benen has a video from Senate Ds of the gentlemanly evisceration by Harry Reid of Ted Cruz, but it’s edited at the end.

    Brian Beutler has a differently-edited video that shows how the Reid/Cruz exchange ended. (SPOILER ALERT: It doesn’t go well for Ted Cruz.)

    This should all be terribly embarrassing for Mitch McConnell and the Rs, but they’ve proved themselves incapable of embarrassment.

      I am beginning to love Ted Cruz. I’d like to slap that smirky grin right off of his shitty face, but I love the guy. The Republican Party continues to survive douchers like Mitch McConnell, John Boehner, Paul Ryan, John McCain, and even Mitt Romney–twice! But Ted might be the beginning of the end for the Republicans. He is not just stupid–he is arrogant and stupid. He is a Democrat’s dream senator. Well done Ted. Just keep being the obnoxious, narcissistic douche-nozzle you really are.

  • SlapFat

    Sen. Cruz is really, really dumb. Filibuster reform or bust.