Here’s a Great Idea

And by great I mean terrible.

From Mother Jones

Canada is considering bypassing the beleaguered Keystone XL pipeline—which would carry oil from tar sands deposits in Alberta to the US and the Gulf of Mexico—by shipping across the Arctic Ocean instead. The proposal is in its infancy, reports the Alaska Dispatch, but is developing as Keystone XL and other proposed pipelines to British Columbia and Quebec remain in limbo.

The Arctic Ocean scenarios would also include a pipeline—north from Alberta’s tar sands through (sparsely settled, presumably uncontested) regions along the Mackenzie River Valley and on to the Arctic coastal town of Tuktoyaktuk, from there to be shipped on tankers to Asia or Europe.

TarSandsMap

Why wait for the Arctic to slowly melt when we could speed the process up by shipping oil directly through it?

The fate of the Keystone pipeline is currently in the hands of the State Department, but a route through the Arctic obviously would not be. And that may even be worse.

This entry was posted in Environment and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    I’ve always thought of the Canuckistanis as our somewhat less bonkers cousins.

    I find myself needing to revise that opinion.

    –alopecia

    • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

      Me too.
      This looks like a disaster in the making.

      Since Canada’s current Conservative government entered office, it has managed to rack up one of the least green track records of any country.

      • muselet

        Sadly, knuckleheadedness knows no borders.

      You should have done that the moment Stephen Harper became prime minister.

  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    Why do conservatives get to use the term ‘conservative’?
    They don’t want or even try to conserve anything. They are in fact dominionists bent on exploiting everything in the world for personal gain with no respect for any living thing whatsoever.

      Absolutely right.

      They will probably destroy this country.