Inappropriate Territory

Overstepping multiple boundaries into what most people would consider to be inappropriate territory, Fox News’ Andrea Tantaros wondered aloud yesterday if President Obama wants girls ages 15 and up to have birth control so he can put his daughter, Malia, on birth control.

via Media Matters

TANTAROS: I mean look, if the president is going to talk about his daughters, typically I would not talk about the daughters, unless, of course, they go to the Bahamas on spring break and we have to pay for it and I think it’s wrong, which I do. But they’re not grown women. So I’m just wondering, at 15 years old, is the Obama daughter, Malia, going to go on birth control? Are they gonna put her on birth control? Because he’s very concerned with the contraceptives and pharmaceuticals that are going in the mouths of everybody else’s 15-year old daughter.

Continuing the right wing tradition of pushing non-combatants into the fray, Tantaros says ‘typically I would not talk about the daughters, except when I do.’

It’s not as if the FDA and the Department of Health will be force feeding contraceptives to “everybody else’s 15-year old daughter.” They will simply be available in case of need. And it’s not as if the reproductive health of the president’s daughters are Tantaros or anyone else’s business. Nor is it relevant.

There are racial connotations to this line of inquiry that I feel wouldn’t be asked if the first family was white. This narrative that President Obama is some kind of pimping, sexual enabler has been on full display over the past week in conservative media.

What they consider to be promoting “criminal behavior,” many of us would consider to be responsible parenting.

By the way, taxpayers did not pay for the president’s daughter’s trip to the Bahamas. But I’m sure you knew that.

This entry was posted in Ethics and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    There’s no question in my mind that Andrea Tantaros would have delivered the same semi-coherent diatribe against a white First Family, if the president was a D. Anything to do with sex or reproductive health will get Righties frothing and snarling.

    Attacking the children of D presidents goes back at least to their inane complaints that Jimmy Carter talked about nuclear disarmament with his daughter Amy. It’s a disgusting tradition among Righties but it’s not going to change any time soon.

    Beyond that, a couple of things caught my attention.

    I invite—no, I dare—Tantaros to call the next 15-year-old she sees a little girl. I’d prefer the encounter to be videotaped, but eyewitness accounts would be nearly as entertaining.

    Speaking of having no clue …

    Yeah, the same scientific evidence they point to on climate change. Uh-huh. That’s very reliable.

    Someone should inform Tantaros that climate science and biology are two different disciplines. Or maybe she just plain don’t believe none of them science fellers and their fancy words what are confusing and all, in which case I invite her to avoid anything in her life that’s tainted with science cooties (and enjoy your dysentery, madam). And for the record, yes, the evidence in both examples is in fact very reliable.

    They want to tell grown women what to do.

    It’s Always Projection.

    –alopecia

  • http://twitter.com/lulunanask Sheila Kwartler

    Funny, no one I can remember asked if the Bush daughters were on birth control pills.

  • Lady Willpower

    “unless, of course, they go to the Bahamas on spring break and we have to pay for it and I think it’s wrong,”

    Oh so you would never say such a thing, except you totally would.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Andrea Tantaros sounds like someone begging to have a tax audit from over the past 20 years.