Jim DeMint’s Very Serious Immigration Report

Jim DeMint has released the report on the costs of immigration reform that we mentioned briefly last night and it’s a whopper.

Legalizing the current population of illegal immigrants would cost American taxpayers a minimum of $6.3 trillion over the lifetimes of those immigrants, according to a Heritage Foundation study released Monday.

The study, titled “The Fiscal Cost of Unlawful Immigrants and Amnesty to the U.S. Taxpayer,” could pose a setback to the Gang of Eight’s immigration-reform bill, which would almost immediately offer legal status to the estimated 11 million illegal immigrants living in the United States. It is an updated version of a Heritage Foundation study from 2007, the last time Congress tried (and failed) to pass comprehensive immigration-reform legislation. Since then, the estimated cost to taxpayers ($2.6 trillion) has more than doubled.

Because of course it has doubled in only six years.

picard-facepalm2

I’m not sure if doubling your previous dubious estimate will increase or decrease your chances of being taken seriously. This is the beltway we’re talking about after all.

I certainly won’t take it seriously, but it remains to be seen if our various congresscitters will light their hair on fire after seeing the $6.3 trillion figure. A figure that Jim DeMint just pulled straight out of his ass.

DeMint’s previous efforts to kill immigration reform were successful in 2007, and today’s Republican-controlled House of Representatives is far more radical than the 110th congress was.

This entry was posted in Economy, Immigration and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

    The assumption behind these numbers is that they won’t get better jobs as citizens than they do as illegal immigrants.

    It also *seems* to be making assumptions about how long they will live, but I’d have to see more details before being sure of that.

  • muselet

    According to Jim DeMint, the CBO can’t be trusted because it’s under the control of the Ds or in the thrall of Mexico or something, but the Heritage Foundation—a Righty advocacy organization with a history of generating dishonest papers—can.

    Anyone who takes Heritage or DeMint seriously is a fool.

    it remains to be seen if our various congresscitters will light their hair on fire after seeing the $6.3 trillion figure.

    Expect Michelle Bachman, Louie Gohmert, Steve King, et al to do the loco-motion.

  • gescove

    This report is nothing more than a promotional flyer for the Heritage Foundation and it’s new president Jim DeMint and should be treated as such.