Menendez: We Don’t Have 60 Votes

If Senator Menendez is correct, my prediction of imminent passage of immigration reform in the Senate may have been slightly premature.

From The Hill

Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) said Friday that the “Gang of Eight” immigration bill doesn’t have enough votes to pass the Senate. [...]

“We don’t currently have 60 votes identified in the Senate,” Menendez said in an interview with Univision. “We need to add more votes on the floor. That means that the community in your state, in every state, should be contacting your state’s two U.S. Senators saying that they want comprehensive immigration reform, that they are going to judge their political future based on this vote.”

I believe if immigration reform is allowed to come to a vote it will pass with ease, but the threat of filibuster remains.

Will Senate Republicans filibuster immigration reform? They may, but the electoral consequences for doing that could be severe. So severe, in fact, that it influenced my prediction that the bill will pass. And I’m sure they’re aware that they’re playing with fire, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t.

Meanwhile, I view it as a given that the House will not pass the kind of reform we’re looking for unless it’s passed with the help of Nancy Pelosi and the Democrats and minimal conservative support.

This entry was posted in Congress, Immigration, Senate and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Ty Morgan

    Damn it, you shouldn’t need 60 votes. Majority rules, which means 51 votes. Harry Reid, come on man, let’s get with the filibuster reform already.

    • Christopher Foxx

      No shit.

      51 votes passes legislation. And filibusters mean standing up and talking.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Will Senate Republicans filibuster immigration reform?

    Will the sun rise in the East tomorrow?

    Will ursine mammalian carnivores defecate in verdant forested locations?

    Will Michele Bachmann say something incredibly stupid?

  • Christopher Foxx

    but the threat of filibuster remains

    Unfortunately, the threat is all that’s needed.