Nope. Not Racist At All.

Surprise! The co-author of the fantastical Heritage Foundation report that estimated immigration reform would cost taxpayers over $6 trillion dollars has questionable views on race as it relates to intelligence.

Richwine’s dissertation asserts that there are deep-set differentials in intelligence between races. While it’s clear he thinks it is partly due to genetics — “the totality of the evidence suggests a genetic component to group differences in IQ” — he argues the most important thing is that the differences in group IQs are persistent, for whatever reason. He writes, “No one knows whether Hispanics will ever reach IQ parity with whites, but the prediction that new Hispanic immigrants will have low-IQ children and grandchildren is difficult to argue against.”

Toward the end of the thesis, Richwine writes that though he believes racial differences in IQ to be real and persistent, one need not agree with that to accept his case for basing immigration on IQ. Rather than excluding what he judges to be low-IQ races, we can just test each individual’s IQ and exclude those with low scores. “I believe there is a strong case for IQ selection,” he writes, “since it is theoretically a win-win for the U.S. and potential immigrants.” He does caution against referring to it as IQ-based selection, saying that using the term “skill-based” would “blunt the negative reaction.”

“No one knows whether Hispanics will ever reach IQ parity with whites.”

williams

Mike Gonzales, vice president of communications at Heritage, released a statement this afternoon saying Richwine’s dissertation does not “affect the conclusions of our study on the cost of amnesty to the U.S. taxpayer.”

There’s just one problem with that — it does.

The Heritage report derives its $6 trillion figure from the idea that immigrants will never reach the level of education and income that non-immigrants do even after several generations, and because of that the Heritage report calculates that immigration reform will be a net-drain on the economy.

Personally I don’t see a great deal of difference between that methodology and Richwine’s dissertation that says “no one knows whether Hispanics will ever reach IQ parity with whites.”

Both are based on the premise that Hispanic people as a race are predisposed to being less intelligent. And Richwine, for his part, seems to be flirting with Eugenics.

This entry was posted in Economy, Immigration, Racism and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://chainreading.com/profile/baiskeli Baiskeli

    Flirting? He took Eugenics to the dance and made out with her afterwards.

  • Draxiar

    And the efforts at appealing to hispanics continues. Isn’t that right Rubio?

  • zirgar

    So, if we get to encourage high IQ immigrants to come here, we also get to encourage low IQ nationals to leave–lickety split. That’s the trade off. The upside to this would be that this kind of exchange would pretty much wipe out the GOP base in this country.

    “The Heritage report derives its $6 trillion figure from the idea that immigrants will never reach the level of education and income that non-immigrants do even after several generations, and because of that the Heritage report calculates that immigration reform will be a net-drain on the economy.”

    It doesn’t say “education”. It doesn’t even actually say “income”, but it is heavily implied by the fact that changing the people from illegal immigrants to legal immigrants doesn’t actually change their income level at all, by their estimates.

  • i_a_c

    Holy motherfuck. You knew that eventually they’d just come out and say that entire ethnicities are inferior to European whites.

    Did some quick Googling, and the the Southern Poverty Law Center even found this Richwine guy worth talking about. http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2008/09/04/white-nationalists-applaud-american-enterprise-institute-fellow/

    Also, I’m sure joseph2004 will have something to say about this.

  • trgahan

    Harvard seriously conferred a PhD for this load of antiquated Social Darwinist crap?!? First, Hispanic and White are NOT biological races; therefore to claim superior/inferior aspects between them for any biological reason is impossible. Second, IQ has largely been panned as a flawed and unreliable measure of both intelligence and overall success in life, especially cross culturally.

    Clearly he had no biologists/anthropologist/sociologist on his committee reviewing his work. No wonder this faulty 1800’s faux-scientific Victorian-era thinking still so pervades our society.

      “Hispanic and White are NOT biological race”

      I was thinking that too! What about Caucasian do you not understand, Richwine? Granted some Spanish speaking people are really quite a mixture of indigenous people, African slaves and white, but the majority are Caucasian.

      While the elites have made sure that a Harvard degree ensures a lifetime of success via nepotism and cronyism, it doesn’t mean that the degree is worth the paper it is written on. And this holds for all of the Ivy League schools. Fer crying out loud, GWB went to an excellent preparatory academy, then Yale and then Harvard! His degrees are subpar to toilet paper.

      • trgahan

        I would love for Richwine to give a talk about the inherent inferiority of Hispanics to a room full of wealth GOP donors of Cuban decent. It would be fun to watch.

  • muselet

    I’m shocked!

    No, not that Jason Richwine is a racist. That someone read The Bell Curve and took it seriously.

    I didn’t think even Righties did that any more.

    –alopecia

  • Nefercat

    Outreach. You’re doing it wrong, republicans..

    I think of the brilliant, or even just ordinary smart, accomplished, everyday folks I know or have heard of, who are members of these groups of “Others” that Richwhine yaps about. Then I think of the demonstrably stupid rill white ‘Murkans and their idiotic beliefs about science, the President, the Constitution, the government, the history of the United States, the economy, teh Gheyz, and on and on and on. Louie Gohmert, for God’s sake?

    And I think, Richwhine, will your IQ ever reach parity with liver flukes?

  • Christopher Foxx

    “No one knows whether Hispanics will ever reach IQ parity with whites.”

    Yeah. It would take Hispanics a long time to get that dumb.