NRA Gun Nuts List Their Top Ten Movies

Remember when Wayne LaPierre responded to the mass-shooting in Newtown, Connecticut by putting America’s love for violent movies and video games on trial?

Well, last week, The Gun Lobby, not to be tied to any semblance of self awareness, published their not-long-awaited cultural findings in the form of a Top Ten List of “Coolest Gun Movies,” brought to us from the NRA’s “flagship publication,” American Rifleman.

American Rifleman explains their methodology and mental disorder:

Firearm enthusiasts are quick to point out the inaccuracies in Hollywood films featuring firearms. Can you blame us? Some of these movies, though, have affected our next gun purchase or made us think about situations for which we should be prepared. Many of these movies also take us back to simpler times, when dreaming of saving the day got us through that oh-so boring class.

And the winners are, via TPM:

1. Red Dawn
2. The Terminator
3. The Alamo
4. Die Hard
5. The Godfather
6. Zombieland
7. The Matrix
8. The Delta Force
9. The Road Warrior
10. Tremors

Red Dawn is #1. Now, that’s gun-nut-certified!

Sure, that’s an obvious one. Every gun fetishist’s dream come true! A dream that fails to account for the mass pants-crapping they would all experience if they ever had to relinquish the comforts of their government protections to confront an actual invading army not named “The Census Bureau.”

But it’s American Rifleman‘s take on “The Godfather” that pulls back the curtain to reveal a dark and disturbing cognitive dissonance:

“The Godfather” also introduced other phrases that continue to permeate American culture such as “go to the mattresses” and “sleeps with the fishes.” While not rip-roaring with action, this film affected millions in many different ways with its cinematography, plot and underlying themes, such as how with determination anyone can become powerful, even if that power is of the criminal nature. Who has not dreamed of having the power and respect of Michael Corleone? That he built his empire through violence is only that much more alluring.

Next time Wayne LaPierre gives another post-mass-shooting speech asking the question, “Isn’t fantasizing about killing people as a way to get your kicks really the filthiest form of pornography?” You can go ahead and shout, “Wolverines!

Gun nuts and their Hollywood fantasies.

This entry was posted in Gun Fetishists, Movies and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    So, situations you should be prepared for where guns might help include being surrounded by commies, or robots, or Mexicans, or terrorists, or I-talians, or zombies, or robots again, or Muslims, or Australians, or death worms. Got it.

    Seriously, I remember the moral panic when “The Matrix” and its Hollywood inaccuracies about how easy it is to dodge bullets came out and how it was going to turn its fans into psycho killers. Maybe they were on to something after all.

  • trgahan

    FYI NRA:
    The plot of the Godfather is about how organized crime corrupts everything. Michael, despite he best efforts, is drawn into the criminal world and ultimately becomes what he never wanted to be. IF you bothered to pay attention to the boring parts, you’d see the dozens of scenes where Michael, his brother, and father actively try to keep him out of “the family business.”

    I think you were thinking of Scarface, but I am sure too many of “those people” like that movie as well for you all to admit you like it too.

  • muselet

    Nothing new here. Righty writers always have two “Hollywood” stories cued up and ready to go:

    1) Popular culture is evil and rotten and bad and horrible. Movies, music, television, it’s all morally reprehensible. No right-thinking person could ever want anything to do with the sewer that is pop culture, either as a creator or a consumer. [Bonus wingnut points for a "Hollywood wouldn't hire me" story. SEE: Breitbart, Andrew]

    2) Here’s a movie/album/TV show that’s popular and influential, and I will torture logic in order to shoehorn my politics into it. [Bonus wingnut points for missing the entire point of the movie/album/TV show in question; double bonus wingnut points for discovering the true, Righty interpretation of a work more than 10 years old. SEE: Goldberg, Jonah]

    … not to be tied to any semblance of self awareness …

    I doubt Righties can recognize themselves in a mirror.

    …dreaming of saving the day…

    The heroes of their own private mythology.

  • D_C_Wilson

    I count five distopic fantasies, two anti-terrorist fantasies, one movie glorifying organized crime, one romantic tale about separatists who decided to get wiped out rather than surrender, and one movie about man-eating giant worms.

    Quite the nihilistic movie list.

  • LeShan Jones

    Holy hell, that list speaks volumes about them dont it.
    Reddawn is obvious, it plays to their silly fantasy about freedom fighters with out any of the reality of real freedom fighters. Tremors is on there because one of the heros is a gunnut like them and he’s not portrayed as a complete nut. Delta force goes to their bizarre ideas about the military, and the Alamo (the John Wayne version I’ll bet) plays to their overly romantisized myths of the old west.
    The Road warrior, the Matrix and even Terminator play to the same emotions that Reddawn cater to, the idea that civilization will fall and they need their guns to be prepared.
    The rest are just goodguy shooting fantasies mostly.