Quote of the Week

“Republicans have claimed that the State Department under Hillary Clinton was trying to protect itself from criticism. The White House released the real e-mails late yesterday and here’s what we found when we compared them to the quotes that had been provided by Republicans. One e-mail was written by Deputy National Security Advisor Ben Rhodes. On Friday, Republicans leaked what they said was a quote from Rhodes. “We must make sure that the talking points reflect all agency equities, including those of the State Department, and we don’t want to undermine the FBI investigation.” But it turns out, in the actual e-mail Rhodes did not mention the State Department. It read “We need to resolve this in a way that respects all the relevant equities, particularly the investigation.” Republicans also provided what they said was a quote from an e-mail written by State Department Spokesman Victoria Nuland. The Republican version notes Nuland discussing: “The penultimate point is a paragraph talking about all the previous warnings provided by the Agency (CIA) about al-Qaeda’s presence and activities of al-Qaeda.” The actual e-mail from Nuland says: the “…penultimate point could be abused by Members to beat the State Department for not paying attention to Agency warnings…” The C.I.A. agreed with the concerns raised by the State Department and revised the talking points to make them less specific than the C.I.A.’s original version, eliminating references to al-Qaeda and affiliates and earlier security warnings. There is no evidence, Scott, the White House orchestrated these changes.” Major Garrett reporting on last night’s CBS Evening News

It’s a big block of text, but I urge you to read it all. Garrett basically confessed that it was the Republicans who provided/leaked selectively edited quotes to ABC News from the administration Benghazi emails as a means of falsely indicting everyone involved.

Fancy that, the Republicans using selectively edited material and manipulating the press with it. We’ve seen this over and over, and here is it again. The Republicans tried to scam the nation into believing something that’s patently untrue. Again.

ABC News and especially Jonathan Karl need to come clean about this.

UPDATE: In video form:

This entry was posted in Benghazi and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • trgahan

    Going forward, will this actually be reported as Republicans deliberately lying or will this just be reported as “the other valid interpretation of the emails”?

    I am beginning to think that we can have a string of Democratic presidents, congressional majorities, even make gains at the state and local level, but until the press stops obediently towing the line for the GOP propaganda complex, we will never see real progressive change in this country.

    • Draxiar

      For that to happen they have to stop giving a shit about what the GOTP thinks. I believe there are journalists out there that stay true to the facts but the cacophony from the other outlets is really quite loud.

    • Tbone

      I have no doubt the media will ignore thus entirely.

    • Christopher Foxx

      Going forward, will this actually be reported as Republicans deliberately lying or will this just be reported as “the other valid interpretation of the emails”?

      Exactly. Why didn’t Garrett do that?

      Reporter: “Rob reported that Doug said something. Turns out Doug didn’t actually say that. Moving on to our next story…”
      Viewer: “Oh, so Rob lied, right? Is that what happened?”
      Reporter: “Moving on to our next story…”

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Winston examined the four slips of paper which he had unrolled. Each contained a message of only one or two lines, in the abbreviated jargon … which was used in the Ministry for internal purposes. They ran:

    times 17.3.84 bb speech malreported africa rectify

    times 19.12.83 forecasts 3 yp 4th quarter 83 misprints verify current issue

    times 14.2.84 miniplenty malquoted chocolate rectify

    times 3.12.83 reporting bb dayorder doubleplusungood refs unpersons rewrite fullwise upsub antefiling

    The messages he had received referred to articles or news items which for one reason or another it was thought necessary to alter, or, as the official phrase had it, to rectify.

    Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. In this way every prediction made by the Party could be shown by documentary evidence to have been correct, nor was any item of news, or any expression of opinion, which conflicted with the needs of the moment, ever allowed to remain on record. All history was a palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary.

  • muselet

    As I said in the podcast thread, as soon as it became clear he’d been given inaccurate information, Jonathan Karl should have burned his source. He didn’t and has continued to pretend the misleadingly-edited quotes weren’t misleading at all.

    Jonathan Karl should lose his job over this. So should the higher-ups who greenlit Karl’s original story.

    –alopecia

    • http://www.dlancystreet.com reginahny

      Right on. Wish I could uprate more than once.

  • Christopher Foxx

    Would be nice if, amidst that big block of text, had just been a simple, straightforward truthful “The Republicans lied and intentionally mislead folks” from Garrett.

    Kudos for what he said, but it is still largely of the just reporting what happened without making it clear that one side is lying that we see so commonly these days.

  • nellcote

    Astonishing that it was ex-Fox Major Garrett that did this.