Quotes of the Day

“Frankly, had I been in the job at the time, I think my decisions would have been just as theirs were.” Bush-appointed Secretary of Defense Bob Gates on the administration’s response to the Benghazi attack

And…

“We don’t have a ready force standing by in the Middle East, and so getting somebody there in a timely way would have been very difficult, if not impossible.” Bush-appointed Secretary of Defense Bob Gates on the ability of the military to respond to Benghazi as it was happening

And…

“I would not have approved sending an aircraft, a single aircraft, over Benghazi under those circumstances.” Bush-appointed Secretary of Defense Bob Gates on the administration’s decision to not deploy air support during the Benghazi attacks

And the best of the bunch…

“It’s sort of a cartoonish impression of military capabilities and military forces. The one thing that our forces are noted for is planning and preparation before we send people in harm’s way, and there just wasn’t time to do that.” Bush-appointed Secretary of Defense Bob Gates on critics who expected the U.S. military to swing into immediate action in Benghazi during the attacks

This entry was posted in Benghazi and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Nefercat

    “It’s sort of a cartoonish impression of military capabilities and military forces.”

    Well, exactly. The impression had by people who have mostly never actually served in the armed forces and who think that Tom Clancy movies and Call of Duty video games and “24″ re-runs are documentaries and Americans are just such awesome badasses that can do annnnnything with no regard for international law (or physics).

    And if Gates tried personally to explain the logistics of warfare, and the deployment of troops and materiel etc., to them, using facts and figures and diagrams and, dare I say it, cartoons, they would simply goggle at him like the cartoonish “morans” that they are.

  • Brutlyhonest

    Of course, had something been done differently, that would have been wrong. Thank baby jeebus it isn’t unpatriotic to question the President anymore.