That Thing About the Pope Being Infallible?

Apparently not. The Vatican actually corrected something he said about atheists.

After Pope Francis told the world even atheists can go to heaven, the Vatican issued a correction: Atheists are still going to hell.

The Vatican issued an “explanatory note on the meaning of “salvation,” on Thursday, May 23, after media reports circulated indicating that Pope Francis” promised heaven for everyone engaged in good works, including atheists.

In response to the media attention, the Rev. Thomas Rosica, a Vatican spokesman, said that people who know about the Catholic church “cannot be saved” if they “refuse to enter her or remain in her.”

Any Vatican experts know whether this is a common occurrence or whether the Vatican is scrambling to spin the words of the first dirty hippie Jesuit pope?

This entry was posted in Religion and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Patrick Malone

    Infallible?
    Well crap.
    I always thought they were saying “inflatable.”

  • Mike_Norris

    I am not a Vatican expert, but it is as you said, Bob. I read what Pope Francis said and I think he meant it. When he was picked as pope I told everyone I knew that he was going to make the conservatives in the church crazy. Pope Francis realizes that things have got to change if the church is going to do ministry and continue to be relevant in a post-modern world. If the Vatican is going to spin everything that this pope says, they better find a higher gear on the spin machine. Because ,my guess is Pope Francis is only warming up.

  • Scopedog

    Well, this confirms it…I really, really like this new Pope; he’s certainly not like his predecessor. If he’s going to upset things in the Church–and in a good way, because it’s necessary–then so much the better.

    No, getting rid of the Catholic Church (or religion, for that matter) will not usher in a new utopian age–that’s a bunch of bull-pucky. But it does appear that Pope Francis is determined to take the Church in a direction it sorely needs.

    (Of course, I wonder what Richard Dawkins thought of the Pope’s statement….)

  • Mike_Norris

    Why can’t I sign in with facebook anymore? Goddamnit!