The “Rubio-Obama Amnesty”

According to The Miami Herald, Floridians for Immigration Enforcement have purchased this space along I-75 in northern Florida near Ocala.

FLRubioBoardImmigration

33 million workers are coming to take your jobs!

(It would be impossible not to notice the Clear Channel logo clearly displayed at the bottom of the billboard. Clear Channel, as you may know, employs Rush Limbaugh.)

What has been proposed by congressional Democrats and even Macro Rubio could hardly be considered amnesty, and as you’re probably aware, that 33 million worker number was pulled straight out of their ass. And by “their ass” I mean The Daily Caller.

What they don’t tell you is that this fantastical number was reached by adding up people who are already here along with their family members and other fictional persons. Furthermore, the 33 million figure is based on an amendment to the Senate immigration reform bill offered by Senator Sessions (R) that would have placed a hard cap on immigration over the next 10 years. That doesn’t necessarily mean that many people would have immigrated during that time period. Between 10 and 20 million are already here allegedly taking our jobs.

Sessions’ amendment was defeated by a margin 17 to 1. Only he voted it.

This entry was posted in Immigration and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Clancy

    I’m pretty sure Clear Channel owns the billboard and isn’t necessarily sponsoring the ad itself. Clear Channel’s outdoor advertising subsidiary is probably the largest owner of billboards in the U.S. (if not globally).

    Floridians for Immigration Enforcement is the local front group for John Tanton’s racist FAIR, which has spearheaded anti-immigrant sentiment in the U.S. for three decades. FAIR is also pretty friendly with the Tea Party movement.

    • JMAshby

      I wasn’t implying that they sponsored the ad.

      • JozefAL

        “(It would be impossible not to notice the Clear Channel logo clearly displayed at the bottom of the billboard. Clear Channel, as you may know, employs Rush Limbaugh.)”

        Seems pretty much the definition of “implying” to me. Otherwise, what was the purpose of the parenthetical?

        Merriam-Webster Online defines “imply” as

        “to involve or indicate by inference, association, or necessary consequence rather than by direct statement”

        and

        “to express indirectly”
        Now, you can argue that both Clancy and I are incorrectly “inferring” something that you didn’t mean but that’s really a case of semantics and it still doesn’t excuse the parenthetical if you didn’t intend others would arrive at exactly the suggestion that Clear Channel was involved with the message.

        • JMAshby

          I was simply pointing the logo out, not implying that they sponsored it. Either way, they are hosting it.

          And I think you’re taking this a bit far.

          • Clancy

            I agree. The matter was clarified and there’s really no need to press the issue further.

        • ThePanicMan

          >implying

          Sadly I don’t think Disqus allows green text.

        • mrbrink

          Weak. You get all strict-constructionist and strip mine the word “imply” of all its accurately parenthetical context like a knee-jerk savant wearing a flashlight on your head, but when it comes to a better examination of why you would even bother writing out such a botched, non-peer-reviewed counterpoint, you plow right ahead without a bit of self awareness. I find that a bit of a contradiction.

          But I think it’s your seemingly weird, coming to the rescue of Clear Channel– your shielding them from any implication that would dare sully the good name of such a benign employer and friendly tool for right wing propaganda– your lack of peripheral awareness to see the relevance, or the ironic relationship between a Clear Channel billboard displaying anti-immigrant sentiment while it signs the paychecks of the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Michael Savage, and a whole pimp stable full of prize right wing man whores– that seriously undermines your nit-picking.

          (Newsflash: It’s all in the family.)

  • 1933john

    Why not 330 million?

  • muselet

    If you listen carefully, you’ll hear the soft sigh of the air coming out of Marco Rubio’s presidential ambitions.

    –alopecia