The Slow Creep Toward 1861

Nullification is the precursor to secession in so far as it essentially allows a state to divorce itself from federal laws. And, of course, it’s one of several tools employed by racist states rights’ yayhoos.

Alabama is eerily close to passing a nullification bill:

The Alabama state Senate passed legislation Tuesday that would nullify all federal gun laws in the state, joining a growing list of state legislatures looking to ban gun legislation from the books.

The Alabama bill says that any federal law that is contrary to the Second Amendment would be declared “null and void” in the state.

Of course, I’m a bit of an extremist on this issue and strongly believe that any state that passes nullification ought to be stripped of all federal funding. If American laws aren’t good enough for them, then American money shouldn’t be either.

This entry was posted in Racism and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    “strongly believe that any state that passes nullification ought to be
    stripped of all federal funding. If American laws aren’t good enough for
    them, then American money shouldn’t be either.”

    Co-sign that. It’s ridiculous that these people think like this. It’s as though they believe that they’re really little independent nation-states, while the reality is that the blue states support the damn red states with our tax dollars. Sheesh………

  • GrafZeppelin127

    My latest gun-related thingy on Daily Kos.

    • GrafZeppelin127

      :(

  • http://www.artisvaria.com/ Nanotyrnns

    Our first opportunity to be rid of the troublesome South came at the Continental Congresses. The second came at the Constitutional Convention. Then we had another in 1861 when the whole sorry lot of them finally up and separated. Each time we spent precious time and resources, and finally thousands of lives, to keep them part of the union.

    They’ve never really wanted to be part of the country. Let them go. Let them all go.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Hear hear!!!

  • http://profiles.google.com/rollotamasi13 Rollo Tamasi

    They don’t have to take orders from a blah President! That’s the mindset.

    It’s entirely possible that some, or even all, of the laws actually do violate the Second Amendment of the Constitution, however there are legal procedures in place to challenge the legitimacy of the laws. And nullification actually definitely does violate the Constitution.

  • Draxiar

    Sometime soon this madness has to end.
    Amazing how President Obama with an enduring message of hope and change has brought out the worst that the ignorant and fearful have to offer.