The Washington Redtails

Even though I’m a lifelong Redskins fan, I’m not opposed to this idea:

A D.C. Council member is preparing to introduce a resolution calling on the Washington Redskins to change its name, perhaps to the Washington Redtails.

Council member David Grosso, an independent elected last year, said he plans to pursue his non-binding resolution because the current name is “a derogatory, racist name.”

“It’s been a long time that we’ve had this name associated with Washington, and I think its time we take a stand and change it,” Grosso said.

Grosso is circulating his resolution to other council members to try to get co-sponsors. So far, he said, council members Muriel Bowser (D-Ward 4) and Kenyan McDuffie (D-Ward 5) have agreed to sign on to it.

I get the argument that “Redskins” no longer implies a racial slur and is simply a word associated with the football team. But, likewise, it’s a football team! Changing the name to something inoffensive (and kind of cool) is a minor yet important display of penance for centuries of genocide.

This entry was posted in Sports and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    There’s been tons of discussion about this over at my other favorite blog, Uni Watch. The proprietor, Paul Lukas, also writes for ESPN and did a piece about this recently.

    I actually studied the Redskins trademark cases in my Sports Law class in law school. I’ve always had mixed feelings about it, and about American Indian names/logos/mascots in sports generally. The argument Bob mentioned, “that ‘Redskins’ no longer implies a racial slur and is simply a word associated with the football team,” which I kind of agree with, was one of the main bases for not revoking the team’s trademark protection, and the logo at least is not a dopey caricature like the Cleveland baseball club’s “Chief Wahoo.” It’s one of those things that you’d have to choose to be offended by. But I don’t walk in those shoes, so I don’t get to grant or deny permission to be offended. And perhaps the whole Indians-as-sports-mascots thing has run its course, and its time has long since passed.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      I love Uni Watch too. It’s like sports memorabilia porn.

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Rich-Morgan/100000299284844 Rich Morgan

    I think it would be a great idea. Then they could use an orangutan as a mascot.