We’re All Lay Persons

Former Heritage Foundation fellow Jason Richwine says despite arguing that some races are genetically inferior to white people, he’s not a racist. He also thinks you’re an idiot for accusing him of being a racist.

“The accusation of racism is one of the worst things that anyone can call you in public life,” Richwine told the Washington Examiner’s Byron York. “Once that word is out there, it’s very difficult to recover from it, even when it is completely untrue. [...]

“I don’t apologize for any of the things that I said,” he said. “But I do regret that I couldn’t give more detail. And I also regret that I didn’t think more about how the average lay person would perceive these things, as opposed to an academic audience.”

We silly lay persons simply cannot grasp the deep logic he’s employing while enunciating his master-race arguments.

Before you fawn over Richwine’s brilliance, however, you should read this nugget tucked inside the interview with the Washington Examiner.

When his views were countered by fellow conservatives in 2010, Richwine published a rebuttal on a white nationalist website called Alternative Right that hosted esteemed columnists such as John Derbyshire.

Richwine published the rebuttal in a relatively new website, AlternativeRight. Why there? For several reasons, Richwine told me. First, The American Conservative declined to publish the response on its own site, which left Richwine looking for a place to post. Second, he had met AlternativeRight’s founder Richard Spencer at an AEI event. And third, Spencer asked Richwine to write for him. “There was a new website called AlternativeRight,” Spencer recalled. “I thought it would be like a paleo-conservative website. I had seen that [former National Review writer] John Derbyshire had also published something there … Later on, it took on a more extreme version.”

As you may recall, Derbyshire was let go from The National Review after he published a column urging his readers to stay away from black crowds and black neighborhoods.

Richwine would like you to believe he was unaware that Alternative Right was a white nationalist website and that it only became a home to white nationalists after he wrote for them.

Remind me again who the lay persons are.

This entry was posted in Racism and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Nefercat

    “…despite arguing that some races are genetically inferior to white people, he’s not a racist.”

    Uh-huh. Sure you’re not.
    Fuck off. Racist.

    • muselet

      Rule of thumb: if someone insists they’re not racist, they probably are.

      At the very least, the burden of proof shifts.

      –alopecia

      • joseph2004

        Is that true after someone else, with no basis, makes the accusation? Your thesis makes it too easy to accuse someone of being a racist in order to shift the burden onto them. You gotta be real careful about that.

        Howabout I just call you a racist. Now insist you aren’t! Go ahead!

        You get the point.

        Still, obviously, this Richwine is a scumbag. Finally an instance where this site has a basis for making the case beyond “Hey, you’re conservative, therefore…”

        • muselet

          Still waiting on those links, joseph.

          –alopecia

    • nathkatun7

      Don’t you know that the only racists left in America are Klan members who still wear white robes and Black moslems who follow Louis Farrakhan? Oh I forgot that Glenn Beck included President Obama among racists be cause Obama supposedly hates white people and white culture. Just because a very highly educated person believes in, and advocates, white superiority and black inferiority does not mean that he/she is a racist. Of course lay people like us don’t quite get it. Just as we don’t get the difference between people who commit acts of terror and the TERRORISTS. You see any one, for example Tim McVeigh killing hundreds of innocent people in Oklahoma, can commit acts of terror. But real TERRORISTS must be Muslims; preferably Arab muslims. If lay persons don’t understand the difference between acts of terror committed by non-muslims and real Terrorism committed by muslims they need to go back to school and hopefully they can eventually earn a PhD from Harvard that will enable them to understand these complexities. Similarly, lay persons who don’t understand the difference between KKK advocates of white supremacy and a scientist who publishes supposed scientific evidence that affirms white racial superiority, that the KKK bases their theories and beliefs on, need to go back to school to learn the difference between the the KKK and an a learned disapassionate scholar.

  • Nefercat

    “…it only became a home to white nationalists after he wrote for them.”

    Oh, honey, saying things like that doesn’t make it better for you. Clearly, you were an inspiration to racist douchebags everywhere.

  • trgahan

    Dear Mr. Richwine (I gag too much starting with Dr.),

    I am a lay person with two advanced degrees with courses in biological evolution, cultural anthropology, and comparative biology. Your ideas have ZERO credible basis in the modern biological science, genetics, and cultural anthropology. Your ideas have been systematically debunked since they first were suggested by white, upper class, European arm-chair “intellectuals” (or their own paid faux-scientist lackeys) in the 1800’s to justify the abuse/exploitation of the poor and working ethnicities ( Irish, Welsh, Slavs, Jews, Hindi, Chinese, etc) during the Industrial Revolution.

    Your “research” merely substituted Europe and Asia’s underclass ca. 1860 with the current ethnic group that upper class conservative white people in American need to keep disenfranchised in order to sustain their disproportional wealth and blame when their rigged economic system hurts everyone else. Your handlers are well aware what providing citizenship to such a large group with very strong communal beliefs would mean for their bottom lines. They know they are wrong. They hire dickbags like you to keep repeating the same crap in hopes that one day it will be magically true, or at least it will let them sleep for another night.
    You’re a gutless racist shill and you know it.
    Sincerely,
    Someone who actually had to earn their degree

    • Nefercat

      “Dear Mr. Richwine (I gag too much starting with Dr.), ”

      Try “Richwhine.” It made me feel better.

  • muselet

    And I also regret that I didn’t think more about how the average lay person would perceive these things, as opposed to an academic audience.

    Oh. I see. Is that because lay people get angry about being called inferior, or because you think academic audiences take your particular brand of crap seriously?

    Take your time and answer carefully. In the meantime, enjoy your well-deserved unemployment.

    –alopecia

  • rickmassimo

    “But I do regret that I couldn’t give more detail. And I also regret that I didn’t think more about how the average lay person would perceive these things, as opposed to an academic audience.”

    By the most charitable interpretation of his own words, he didn’t go into the kind of detail that academic papers typically have, AND he didn’t write it for a general audience.

    What does he even think he actually did?