What’s This Really All About?

If you want to know what Benghazimania is really all about — here’s your answer courtesy of The New York Times.

American Crossroads, the Karl Rove-led super PAC, has released the first attack ad of the 2016 campaign, accusing Hillary Clinton of mishandling the Benghazi killings. It’s a pretty shameless spot, filled with innuendo and as many unflattering pictures of the former secretary of state as possible.

This Call of Duty-esque attack ad from Karl Rove contains one misleading claim after another and it’s obviously aimed at beginning the long, slow process of turning back the Hillary tide.

What Karl Rove doesn’t seem to be aware of is that this kind of smear campaign will simply push liberals and moderates to rally around her, not run away from her.

We have a long way to go, but it’s entirely possible Karl Rove will lose another election for Republicans in 2016 if what we see then resembles the same kind of campaigns we saw in 2008 and 2012. He could go 0 for 3.

Whatever legitimate concerns there may have been in the immediate aftermath of the attack last year, this is all about politics at this point. The Republicans are desperate to recapture some of that National Security Mojo President Obama snatched from them like a wig over the last five years.

This entry was posted in Benghazi, Election 2016 and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1407947655 Jim Turner

    Hilary got her 3 A.M. phone call and she fucked it up and then lied about it

    • muselet

      Uh-huh. Sure.

      You got your talking point in. Good job. Here’s a cookie. Don’t let the door hit you on the arse on your way out.

        But can’t we let it hit its head in, so that it would wake it the fuck up?

        Damn, Alo. Sometimes I just love you (in a sisterly fashion :) )

        • muselet

          Just trying for style points.

          –alopecia

    • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

      Here ya go sunshine!

      • DrowningKittens

        I remember those massive coverups and numerous people thrown under the bus in each one. And you should be on your knees every night thanking your lucky stars that we had Cheney to kick the Russians teeth down their throat.

        • Victor_the_Crab

          Yeah. Thank you Dick Cheney for lying your fucking face off all these years, you evil piece of shit. Without you, America would be a happy place where people of all genders, races, religions, and sexual orientation would live happily in a world of piece and prosperity and be the shining example for all the world to emulate.

          Fucking idiot, you are.

          • DrowningKittens

            Wow, I didn’t know Cheney was the only thing standing in the way of unicorns and rainbows. I’m converting to Liberalism now.

          • Victor_the_Crab

            (pats its pointy head) Good for you! It will be the first step in growing your peanut sized brain to a normal level.

            Earlier today, you claimed you weren’t a right winger.

            FYI, you really aren’t even amusing. Maybe you should stop trying.

          • DrowningKittens

            And you said I was unworthy of not more than 2 minutes of your time about 4 comments ago, yet you chase me down to here. And I never claimed I wasn’t a right winger. You hate me and you don’t even know me. Newsflash…politics aren’t the end all be all to life itself. There’s a LOT more to it than just this garbage. So take it easy and relax. The sun will shine tomorrow whether you like it or not.

            1.I didn’t “chase you down” you fool. I’ve been a commenter on Bob’s blog for several years.

            2. You did claim you weren’t a right winger OR an anti-choicer. You are both.

            Thanks for the laugh though!

          • DrowningKittens

            1. Again, after saying I wasn’t worth 2 minutes of your time, you proceed to make numerous comments over two separate threads in a desperate attempt to hang your ideological underpinnings on me. I only used “chasing” as a metaphor.
            2. I did not claim to be right wing. Read it again. I said I wasn’t a Republican. You may not recognize the difference but all Republicans are right wing; not all right wingers are Republican.They aren’t synonymous.
            3. Your numerous ad hominem comments stretches that statement beyond the breaking point.

            Then you say I’m not amusing but thanks for the laugh?

        • muselet

          Once again, I ask: what is being covered up? What is the underlying crime or malfeasance?

          Watergate, to give an example, involved an actual crime (breaking and entering) and actual official malfeasance (the Nixon White House ordered the crime and directed the cover-up of that crime).

          What is the crime and/or malfeasance here? Please be specific.

          Also, too, the Russians? Please tell me you’re a comedy troll, because that’s actually really funny.

          So, Russia was behind the attacks on our embassies? That’s a new one.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Please tell me, what exactly did she do to “fuck it up”? I’ve been waiting for months no for someone to explain to me what exactly was being covered up in this imaginary scandal. You seem to be directly plugged into the facts, so tell, what did she do?

      • missliberties

        It’s simple. They didn’t say Islamic Terrorism.

        That is all this boils down to.

      • joseph2004

        It wasn’t what was covered up; it was what was in plain site. Hillary was an incompetent Secretary of State. With her back against the wall, she forgot who she served (if she ever knew to begin with).

        • D_C_Wilson

          So, in other words, just like every single rightwing troll I’ve encountered, you have no idea either.

          We get it. You hate her. You hate Obama. But spewing hatred is not proof of actual wrongdoing.

          • joseph2004

            Spewing hate?!?!? Good grief. I put it in simple enough language elsewhere what I believe the real issue is about Hillary Clinton and Benghazi. It has nothing to do with hating anyone.
            When push came to shove, Hillary Clinton did NOT defend America and its Constitutional values. She was our front-line diplomat and she went out there and apologized to the thugs for a video virtually nobody saw!
            It’s pretty obvious.
            If that to you is having no idea, then which of us is the troll?

          • D_C_Wilson

            Yes, spewing. The fact that you think mentioning a video that did spark violent protests across the Middle East (Funny how you forgot about that) was “apologizing” just shows how filled with hate you are.

    • joseph2004

      You’re right. With her back against the wall, she caved and the US abroad and at home paid the price.

  • muselet

    This ad is meant to do three things: rough up Hillary Clinton, rally Righties around the Benghazi! Benghazi!! Benghazi!!! flag, and give our glorious news media a reason to talk about the ad and American Crossroads. Five bucks says the networks take the bait.

    –alopecia

  • 1933john

    Hillary is a WHITE woman working FOR a BLACK MAN in the WHITE HOUSE.
    That’s more than any Rebel Motherfucker can take this soon after the War of
    Northern Aggression.

  • joseph2004

    OK, let’s forget about “politics” for a second, and talk about competence.
    Hillary Clinton is the Democrats’ favorite for President in 2016. Did the Benghazi fiasco give us any insights into Hillary Clinton’s worthiness for the job?
    Sure did.
    HIllary Clinton played the commiseration game with the violent mobs in Egypt and elsewhere. She, in a determined attempt to be heard around the world, denounced the supposedly vile video as demeaning and reprehensible. She denounced it from her then-lofty post as the US’ top diplomat. In doing so, she gave legitimacy to the supposed grievances of the thugs trashing US foreign installations. Her message to them was basically, I agree with you. You have a right to be angry. I feel your pain.
    She and Obama (at the UN and through the media) denounced the video and the video maker, which provided a platform to many across the world to question US free speech standards. Moreover, Hillary Clinton is reported to have assured some parents of the dead in Benghazi that the videographer in question would be arrested and prosecuted. Cute! coming from a top US official who apparently sees no problem promoting the idea that political prisoners are in some cases a necessary expedient. Arresting the sap who made the video was exactly what Islamists around the world were demanding, and the Obama Administration made sure they got what they wanted.
    And these guys and gals were the answer to George W. Bush!
    Hillary Clinton, with the Benghazi mess, has damaged the United States.
    Absolutely NO! to Hillary in 2016!
    Find someone competent to do the job. We need that from somebody. The US will elect a woman President one day, but Hillary Clinton isn’t qualified. Find someone else.

    • missliberties

      So facts don’t matter.

      There was a video. There were protest all around the Middle East, on Sept. 11th.

      • joseph2004

        There was a video. So what? There are LOTS of videos, many as or more “insulting” to Islam than the one we’re supposed to believe caused all sorts of havoc. And a helluva a lot of videos by Muslims promising to destroy America. Buuuuut, who cares, right? America deserves it, because we’re as bad as they are. We’re as bad as the thugs burning and killing in the name of Allah!
        Think about it. That video wasn’t any more insulting to Islam than half the crap that this site spews at Christians, Catholics, and religion in general. You talk about two-faced approaches. Funny how the minute a bunch of Islamic thugs start trashing embassies, raping western journalists, and denouncing the United States, Hillary Clinton is out apologizing to them for, what, some video she knew was nothing but a cheap excuse for these people to act badly? And this site and its loyal misfits come out swinging in defense of Hillary Clinton and the incompetence she displayed for ALL to see.
        Brilliant.
        She trashed America. I’m sure she’d never see it that way. But she did. She was a poor excuse as a defender of the US. That was her job, front and center, and Benghazi showed us that she didn’t have a clue what her responsibility was.

    • muselet

      Okay, joseph, I’ll bite: what should Hillary Clinton have said to Muslims upset and angry about The Innocence of Muslims?

      And for the record, Nakoula Basseley Nakoula was sentenced to a year in prison for violating the terms of his parole. Wikipedia sez:

      In 2010, Nakoula pleaded no contest to federal charges of bank fraud in California. Nakoula had opened bank accounts using fake names and stolen Social Security numbers, including one belonging to a 6-year-old child, and deposited checks from those accounts to withdraw at ATMs. The prosecutor described the scheme as check kiting: “You try to get the money out of the bank before the bank realizes they are drawn from a fraudulent account. There basically is no money.” Nakoula’s June 2010 sentencing transcript shows that after being arrested, he testified against an alleged ring leader of the fraud scheme, in exchange for a lighter sentence. He was sentenced to 21 months in federal prison, followed by five years probation (supervised release), and ordered to pay $794,701 in restitution. He was sent to prison, then to a halfway house, and was released from custody in June 2011. A few weeks later, he began working on Innocence of Muslims. Conditions of Nakoula’s probation include not using aliases and not using the Internet without prior approval from his probation officer.

      Political prisoner, my arse.

      Moreover, Hillary Clinton is reported to have assured some parents of the dead in Benghazi that the videographer in question would be arrested and prosecuted.

      Links, please.

      –alopecia

      • joseph2004

        What’s should she have said? That the violence in Egypt was senseless. That those who demand we punish somebody for making an offensive video can stick it. And she should have left it at that. By not doing so, she made a case for the violent mobs. She gave them cover. Anybody with a responsibility to defend the Constitution of United States knows you don’t go out and trash it before the whole world. That’s what she did.
        Every time somebody is mad at the US isn’t a reason to accommodate their feelings. Sometimes they’re wrong. Sometimes they’re thugs. The mobs trashing our embassies and those who attacked and killed our ambassador were violent, backwards thugs. Clinton (and Obama backing her) gave their actions legitimacy by essentially blaming our way of life, our freedom of speech and expression, in an attempt to appease the mobs. She should never have done that. That it even occured to her and her boss is telling.
        She, as Secretary of State, was obligated to defend the United States, to serve the US first, not the Islamists. Figure it out, please, before 2016 rolls around.

        • Victor_the_Crab

          You telling us to figure it out, joey retard? You couldn’t find your own ass from a hole in the ground without trying to look it up on Fox News or any other right wing entertainment complex. You’re a laughable piece of shit.

          • joseph2004

            You’re the biggest troll this site has, Vic.

          • Victor_the_Crab

            No joey piece-of-shit, YOU ARE! You add nothing but talking points from various right wing entertainment sites everytime you post here. Here’s what your crap looks like on this page: Islamists are all thugs, Hillary Clinton is an incompetent lightweight, liberals blame America for Benghazi, bla-bla-bullshit. You’re a shameful little scum that would rather see the country burn in flames than to see any progressive legislation get passed that would move it forward. You’d be happy to see Bush and Cheney in control at the White House again. You learn nothing. That why you get your head kicked here on a consistent basis. So go and fuck yourself hard, joseph!

        • muselet

          On 11 September 2012, then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton released the following statement:

          I condemn in the strongest terms the attack on our mission in Benghazi today. As we work to secure our personnel and facilities, we have confirmed that one of our State Department officers was killed. We are heartbroken by this terrible loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and those who have suffered in this attack.

          This evening, I called Libyan President Magariaf to coordinate additional support to protect Americans in Libya. President Magariaf expressed his condemnation and condolences and pledged his government’s full cooperation.

          Some have sought to justify this vicious behavior as a response to inflammatory material posted on the Internet. The United States deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others. Our commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation. But let me be clear: There is never any justification for violent acts of this kind.

          In light of the events of today, the United States government is working with partner countries around the world to protect our personnel, our missions, and American citizens worldwide.

          How in hell does that equate to making a case for violent mobs? How in hell does that give cover to anyone? How in hell does that trash the US Constitution?

          I will give you credit for this much: when you set out to be a halfwit, you really give it your all.

            At this stage in its life, our resident troll is more like a quarterwit at best, and that’s really being generous to it.

          • muselet

            “Now, Paulie, don’t mock the afflicted.” –”Grandfather McCartney”, A Hard Day’s Night, written by Alun Owen

            –alopecia

          • joseph2004

            “The United States deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others.” Ie., The videographer who made the video you guys claim to be so offended by, well, the US and I are offended, too.”
            Duh.
            That’s commiseration, sweety. It’s acknowledging that the violent masses had a basis for their anger, however slight.
            Hillary Clinton is/was a lightweight diplomat. She should never, ever have drawn into question US religious tolerance compared to others. Doing so was half admitting she wasn’t too sure herself.
            I don’t expect her to understand it – she obviously doesn’t. Defending the US when it counted, taking an unambiguous stand in this kind of situation, was not in Hillary Clinton’s toolkit. At some point, you either defend the US as our top diplimat, or you punt. In my book, she punted.

          • muselet

            Sigh.

            Some have sought to justify this vicious behavior as a response to inflammatory material posted on the Internet. The United States deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others. Our commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation. But let me be clear: There is never any justification for violent acts of this kind.

            (Emphasis added)

            Take a long look at the bolded parts of the above. Ask someone to help you with the big words. That’s not commiseration. That’s not giving cover to anyone. That’s not giving legitimacy to anyone. Hillary Clinton’s message was simple: What happened was unjustified.

            And I’m still waiting for those links.

            It’s obvious at this point he’s a willing retard who keeps saying the same shit over and over again just to make himself feel better and superior to us all. Best to point at him and make fun of his miserable life, because he doesn’t want to learn anything.

          • muselet

            I suppose so, but such is not my way. I’m interested to see how long he hangs onto his talking point (my guess is forever; check his profile, he’s been banging the Benghazi drum pretty hard all over the internet).

            And I genuinely want to see his links. Those should be a hoot.

            –alopecia

          • joseph2004

            alopecia – stand by…

          • muselet

            Moreover, Hillary Clinton is reported to have assured some parents of the dead in Benghazi that the videographer in question would be arrested and prosecuted.

            Still waiting for those links, joseph.

            –alopecia

          • joseph2004

            It’s pretty obvious, alopecia, that you don’t read anything outside far left sites like this one. Of course this site isn’t going to mention something like that.
            Here’s one. You’ll probably write it off as Right-wing propaganda or some damn thing. Whatever.

            http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/jailed_for_blasphemy_in_america_ZlN37whmQoisOsRWhkwt3K?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=OpedColumnists

          • muselet

            You posted two comments, but I’m going to roll my responses into one.

            Thank you for providing those links. Now I understand a little better why you believe what you believe. However, I asked for links to support a very specific statement you made (Moreover, Hillary Clinton is reported to have assured some parents of the dead in Benghazi that the videographer in question would be arrested and prosecuted.), and the two you provided do not; they are opinion pieces, not news pieces, and despite much speculation about the administration’s motives even they don’t say what you did.

            The first 14 words of Hillary Clinton’s statement from 11 September 2012:

            I condemn in the strongest terms the attack on our mission in Benghazi today.

            She did not, as you insist, “ma[k]e a case for the violent mobs.” She did not, as you insist, “g[i]ve them cover.” Hillary Clinton condemned the attacks. There is no way she could have been clearer on the point.

            Leaving that aside, how on earth do you get from this:

            The United States deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others. Our commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation.

            to restricting speech? “Deplore” is not the same as “restrict”, and if the US government wanted officially to deplore a piece at The Daily Banter it certainly could do so, but it couldn’t shut the site down or otherwise restrict the site’s content. The First Amendment guarantees freedom of speech, not freedom from criticism. Besides which, part of the art of diplomacy is saying things which are trivially true (the US government does not officially support the denigration of people’s religious beliefs) in order to get to an important point: here, that point is that the attack on the US installation in Benghazi was unjustified.

            As for UN Human Rights Council Resolution 16/18, which the piece from the Center for Security Policy goes on about at length, it wasn’t the US and the OIC that agreed to it. Check out the list of attendees of the Istanbul meeting here. And you’re misrepresenting both the text and the intent of the resolution, to boot.

            As I said ‘way back on the 10th, Nakoula Basseley Nakoula was sentenced to a year in prison for parole violation. No amount of handwaving from Kyle Shideler or Rich Lowry—or you—changes that. Nakoula is a parole violator. Lowry comes right out and admits it:

            A few years ago, he was sentenced to nearly two years in jail on bank-fraud charges. Using a false name, Nakoula gulled actors into appearing in his video on the pretense that it was a desert epic. He is not going to win any good-citizenship awards, and he violated the terms of his probation by using an alias (something Nakoula admits).

            (Emphasis added)

            Nakoula is emphatically not a political prisoner, no matter how much you (or Lowry or Shideler or whoever) want him to be.

            And you know nothing about what I read.

            –alopecia

  • missliberties

    OMG! They edited the talking points to not say Islamic Terrorists!!! Impeach!