You’re Doing It Wrong

Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke should have spoken these words a long time ago, but better late than never.

Bernanke says in his prepared testimony before the Joint Economic Committee, “fiscal policy at the federal level has become significantly more restrictive.”

“In particular,” his testimony says, “the expiration of the payroll tax cut, the enactment of tax increases, the effects of the budget caps on discretionary spending, the onset of sequestration, and the declines in defense spending for overseas military operations are expected, collectively, to exert a substantial drag on the economy this year.”

You can agree or disagree with individual parts of Bernanke’s statement, but the general message is that cutting government spending, regardless of where the money was going, is preventing the economy from taking off quicker than it already is.

This is Bernanke at his most Keynesian moment in front of Congress.

Unfortunately I believe sequestration is here to stay because there’s nothing easier in Washington than preserving the status quo.

This entry was posted in Economy and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    “I believe sequestration is here to stay because there’s nothing easier in Washington than preserving the status quo”

    Sen. Levin recently told us that he is going to spend the remainder of his time in office on financial matters and the economy.

    That said, hard to say how much it will help.

  • D_C_Wilson

    So, how’s that laser-like focus on job creation Cantor promised working out for you, tea party voters?

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Like they would understand.

    • trgahan

      Jobs?!? I thought all the Tea Party really wanted PBS de-funded?