Atheists and Christianity: Dueling Monuments

Photo: Associated Press

Photo: Associated Press

After losing their court case to have the Ten Commandments monument removed– a monument erected by something called The Community Men’s Fellowship, or Erections for Jesus– from the courthouse in Bradford County, Florida– American Atheists reached a settlement that resulted in their own monument to secularism:

Cranford, NJ—Following a settlement with Bradford County, Florida, American Atheists will unveil a new monument in front of the Bradford County Courthouse: a 1,500-pound granite bench engraved with quotations from Thomas Jefferson, Madalyn Murray O’Hair, Benjamin Franklin, and others. The bench will sit adjacent to an existing monument featuring the Ten Commandments.

It is the first atheist-sponsored monument on government property in the United States.

The monument features an excerpt from the Treaty of Tripoli, signed by President John Adams, which declares “The United States is in no sense founded on the Christian religion”; and excerpts from the Bible, quoting the biblical punishments for breaking each of the Ten Commandments–many command death.

Your move, Christian zealots.

This entry was posted in Religion and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    What’s the over/under on when someone takes a sledgehammer to the bench?

    –alopecia

  • J Michael Carter

    D’oh! I was going to say that the Xtian zealots’ next move will involve a sledgehammer.

  • Zen Diesel

    Don’t leave out the spray paint, the second weapon of choice for those Christrandians who love and must protect Merica.

  • judi

    I can’t WAIT till those of the Jewish faith or the Muslim beliefs get around to doing the same thing.
    “Freedom of religion” dontcha know?

    heh…..love this.

  • blackdaug

    I want a t-shirt with that logo. It is obscure enough to confuse those who would shoot me if they knew what it represented.

  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    I got in trouble on another blog for posting my sentiments about this bench and I’m doin’ it again.
    Here are my points:
    1) One of the beauties of being an atheist is that it takes so little of my time that religious people spend on ritual, fear, guilt, gossip, bigotry, bullying, fundraising, building monuments and constructing idolatry.
    2) This bench sends the wrong message about atheism and opens the door for religious zealots to compare us to them even though we are not an organized cult with rules such as they.
    3) Atheists will never, ever, match superstitious dogmatic monuments one for one.
    4) My reverence is only of science & nature and superstition is better fought by other methods rather than aping religious practice.

    Superstitions should be mocked or ignored, not parroted.