Chart of the Day

Mother Jones has compiled this handy chart for comparing the relative level of free speech, civil liberties, and journalistic freedom one can expect in each country currently reported to be part of Edward Snowden’s world tour.

As you can see it’s hit or miss, while the United States ranks relatively high according to Reporters Without Borders, Freedom House, and Transparency International.

WorldTourFreedom

Iceland is of course ranked higher, but that seems to have fallen off Snowden’s list of destinations in lieu of Russia, Cuba, and Ecuador.

This entry was posted in Civil liberties, Epic Fail and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    I’d guess Edward Snowden will fetch up in Ecuador, at least right now.

    Russia will 86 Snowden as soon as Vladimir Putin stops being amused by the angry noises coming from Washington. Cuba’s been awfully quiet, which leads me to believe Raúl Castro doesn’t really want anything to do with him, for whatever reason. Ditto Venezuela.

    Ecuador, though, really, really wants Snowden because that will pump up Rafael Correa’s anti-Yanqui cred.

    –alopecia

    • MrDHalen

      Yea, U.S. and Cuba relations have been improving and I don’t think they want anything to do with him.

  • Joyce M

    Has anyone written anything else on the Reuters stories and how they may be linked to the Snowden story?
    Senator says Booz Allen hired convict for classified job.
    NSA contractor hired Snowden despite concerns about resume discrepancies.
    Theft of F-35 design data is helping U.S. adversaries -Pentagon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRk2V4nJiyI

  • trgahan

    Snowden is appearing to be such a nihilistic hacker douche that I am surprised he hasn’t demanded asylum in Portland, Oregon or Brooklyn, NY.

    Also, why isn’t Greenwald sticking up for the civil liberty paradise of Brazil? Oh wait, is that another place where a white guy with money is free, but if a kid from the barrio speaks up and all he gets is his body dumped in a ditch outside of town? Forgot about that, never mind.

  • Badgerite

    The guy is either dishonest or crazy. I can’t decide which.

    • vgranucci

      They’re not mutually exclusive

    • villemar

      Asspergers is a horrible affliction. I’d feel sorry for him, but I don’t.