Chris Christie: Two-Faced Bigot

Speaking to a town hall gathering on Friday, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie wanted all in attendance to know that he’s a “conservative Republican.” A conservative’s conservative– someone who can conservative his way through any conservative jam, especially when his state is under conservative water and he needs the President to show up to lead the efforts to bail out his conservative ass.

Governor Chris Christie on President Obama and leadership:

“I know when you look at Washington right now, you shake your head at a president who can’t figure out how to lead, at a Congress that only 11 percent of the people in the last poll I saw approve of the job they’re doing,” Christie said during the town-hall event.

That’s what happens when you have someone in the executive office who is more concerned about being right than he is concerned about getting things done,” he added. “But I’m not going to be that kind of leader of New Jersey.”

This is kind of like looking both ways at a party before telling your racist joke.

Governor Christie is a real tough guy when the President isn’t around.

Back in 2012, Governor Christie had high praise for the President’s leadership in tending to the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, while his guy– Mitt Romney– was handing out fake canned good donations and recently revealing that natural disaster preparedness, a coordinated response, and sympathy just aren’t his thing. Christie said of President Obama at the time:

“The president has been all over this and he deserves great credit. I’ve been on the phone with him, like I said, yesterday, personally three times. He gave me his number at the White House, told me to call him if I needed anything. And he absolutely means it.”

He used words like, “outstanding” and “excellent” everywhere he went.

Leadership isn’t running around bullying teachers, and women. Leadership isn’t scheduling a $24 million dollar vacant Senate seat vote to ensure your electoral chances are secure. That’s not “conservative,” either.

And leadership isn’t putting civil rights up for a popular vote, while continuing to openly discriminate against minority groups from a position of authority, as Christie did earlier this week, and throughout his career– most recently when he criticized the Supreme Court’s decision to strike down DOMA, calling it, “wrong” and “inappropriate” before pretending to shore up his bipartisan bona fides with a shout out to Bill Clinton for being forced into a position to sign off on the Republican party’s all-too-familiar hostage demands at the time.

It’s funny that Christie praises Bill Clinton’s position of weakness, mistaking it for some sort of courageous, bipartisan stand against gay people.

I’ll take President Obama’s leadership in getting us out of Iraq, regulating healthcare insurance and delivery, steering the economy out of the worst recession since the Great Depression, saving the American auto-industry, getting Bin Laden, standing up to the Citizens United decision, or standing up for women and minorities and even finding the time to help lead Jersey out of the Atlantic Ocean over Chris Christie’s bullying, small-time pettiness and rank partisan hackery any day of the century.

Republicans have bullied and peer-pressured him into reinforcing a false narrative. Chris Christie wants to talk about leadership? He can’t even stand up to the crazies in his own party.

This entry was posted in Chris Christie, Lying Liars, Quote, Republican Party, Stupid Party, WTF and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • JWheels

    You have to love the implications of “a president who can’t figure out how to lead.” I can almost hear him saying the next line implied which I imagine to be something like “because you know he’s just a stupid ni**er.” I’m convinced most people in the Republican Party really do see Obama as nothing more than an “uppity ni**er.”

    • Lady Willpower

      Except they spell it “N1663R” so as not to get caught in the profanity filter.

      • JWheels

        actually, that was self censorship haha

  • Joyce M

    Chris Christie has a nasty temper. I wouldn’t trust him to walk my dog. The President of the United States has to face one crisis after another. It’s a lot of pressure. It’s not a job for someone like Chris Christie.

  • tkl

    Excellent Bob, as usual you hit the mark

    • stacib23

      Uh, MrBrink writes on Sunday.

  • missliberties

    Chris Christie was the only one who I saw being able to stand up to the crazies.

    Disappointing.

  • muselet

    Kathleen Geier has Chris Christie’s measure. Her opening salvo:

    I grew up in New Jersey, in the part of the state that this jokey map [http://cbsnewyork.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/joesteinfeld_newjerseymap.pdf] refers to as “Christie Country.” So when it comes to the media’s love affair with Chris Christie, and the way he seems to give some Democratic plutocrats a thrill up their leg, I am especially appalled. Believe me, I know that from which I speak, and Christie is about as conservative as you can get and still get elected governor in that state. But since his brand of conservative is culturally and stylistically distinct from the kind we so often see in the Southern conservatives that dominate Republican, and American, politics, a lot people labor under the delusion that he’s a moderate. He isn’t.

    She only gets more negative from there. Christie deserves every bit of it.

    –alopecia

  • Zen Diesel

    No matter how much you polish a turd, it’s still a turd. Christie brand of Republicanism would not play out well on the national stage.

  • Badgerite

    My thoughts exactly. What is good about getting the WRONG things done.

  • theronware

    Christie would deny citizens of his state access to healthcare for political gain! He cannot be trusted to do what’s right!

  • lfallar

    Make sure Obama gets nothing passed and make sure to block all of his nominees and then tell everyone he gets nothing done…….the GOP should be proud of “their” great accomplishments…..nothing ( GOP Grand Old Plutocrats)

  • Jado

    “Leadership isn’t running around bullying teachers, and women. Leadership isn’t scheduling a $24 million dollar vacant Senate seat vote to ensure your electoral chances are secure. That’s not “conservative,” either.”

    That’s exactly conservative. All of it. In the current-day definition of the word, “Conservative” implies two-faced, spiteful, cruel, jingoistic blind faith in the rightness of your pet cause, regardless of evidence to the contrary.

    He is doing exactly what he was elected to do – punish Democrats and the 99%