Colorado Gun Nuts Crashing 4th of July Celebration

Gun lovers in the sleepy town of Westcliff, Colorado going by the name of The Southern Colorado Patriots’ Club will evidently be bringing dates to the ‘Patriot Prom’ this year as a good-hearted sign of public intimidation over the states’ right to enact two new gun control laws– one limiting gun magazines to 15 rounds and the other a background check bill requiring background checks for all transfers and sales of firearms– which will take effect Monday.

The Tea Party people of Colorado are encouraging you to bring your best-dressed gun, “especially the evil black ones,” to enter into the pie eating contest, via Think Progress:

The town of Westcliffe normally has a lively 4th of July parade every year and is described as the busiest day for businesses. This year, however, citizens were afraid of what will happen with as many as 300 people marching with guns slung on their shoulders.

The Southern Colorado Patriots’ Club sent a out a flier advertising the parade and instructing members to bring unloaded rifles, “especially the evil black ones.”

The Custer County Chamber of Commerce, the event’s sponsor, cancelled the parade after fearful citizens circulated a petition to stop the club. Donna Hood, president of the chamber, abstained from the vote to cancel the parade but told the Denver Post that the controversy has “polarized this community in a week.”

After the local Chamber of Commerce was r-u-n-n-o-f-t, the 4th of July was nearly cancelled, just like Christmas. But no worries– the town of Westcliff stepped in to pick up the tab.

Southern Colorado Patriots’ Club member and Westcliff town trustee Joe Cascarelli described the sitcheyation, “This is a Norman Rockwell community with a Western flair.”

Custer County Sheriff Fred Jobe, who filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against the state on the grounds that gun laws violate his right to be stupid– will be leading the group.

Because freedom costs a buck-o-five.

This entry was posted in Far-right Intellectual Violence, Gun Fetishists, Guns, Terrorism, Wingnuts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • missliberties

    The flag pic is cool. Where did you find it?

  • blackdaug

    I think I would rather live in the community that has “Frozen Dead Guy” day, than the one who has “Walking talking guys who will shoot you dead ….day”.
    I hope to move back to Colorado someday, and these articles are highly instructive when it comes to which parts to ..avoid.
    It would be an amusing Darwinian twist, if the entire population of the state segregated it self in to “hippy towns” and “gun fetish towns”. ….and the gun fetish towns, eliminated their own populations during one of their many “exuberant gun displays days…..”

    • Tbone

      Ha! My band has played at both the frozen dead guy days fest and the West cliffe Bluegrass festival, and yea, frozen dead guys is much more fun!

  • formerlywhatithink

    Charge ‘em all with public indecency for waving their dicks in public.

  • muselet

    “This is a Norman Rockwell community with a Western flair.”

    I’m no Norman Rockwell expert, but I don’t remember a lot of his illustrations featuring men carrying needlessly powerful firearms.

    –alopecia