For Chris Christie It Doesn’t Matter

This photograph used by Drudge today to pressure Chris Christie into selecting a hard-right conservative to temporarily fill the shoes of Senator Frank Lautenberg is exactly why I don’t believe it matters who he chooses as far as Christie’s political future is concerned.

DrudgeChristieObama

Even if Christie appoints a red meat-tossing conservative, this photograph and others like it guarantee that a certain segment of the Republican party will never trust him and never support him again.

Agree with him or not (I disagree with him on most matters of policy), choosing to praise and host the president as boisterously as he has means his future as a national figure for the Republican party is dubious at best. He could appoint Glenn Beck and it wouldn’t make a difference. There will always be Hurricane Sandy.

I’m not going to praise Christie for how well he has worked with the president because that is how it should be. There should be an expected level of decorum and cooperation when your constituents need it most, but not everyone sees it that way.

That should tell you something about the maturity level of a not-insignificant portion of the electorate.

(H/T TPM)

This entry was posted in Chris Christie, Congress, Ethics and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • mrbrink

    I wonder where the divisiveness in this country comes from? Who’s side are you on?

    We have to understand, the bitter and hateful lunatic base that comprises right wing America comes from a place where funding death squads to cleanse leftists is a preferred negotiation tactic.

    I’d like Chris Christie a lot more if I never seen him and his bratty ice cream cone having to be restrained on the Jersey boardwalk like Augustus Gloop at the Wonka Factory.

    But I do appreciate that there’s at least one Republican governor in America where President Obama can show up and work with and not have to pass through the tracker camp from Django.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Whose side are you on?

    How about America’s?

  • trgahan

    I am probably wrong, but I get a feeling that sometime before the conventions the conservative power base (read, the moneyed people) will shut off the cash flow to the far right screech groups to “silence” them. Guy’s like Drudge and Beck will be given nice bonus checks for all their hard work and told to take vacation.

    The sudden silence will be hailed as a sign that whoever is the Republican candidate is (including possibly Christie), the person is acceptable to real America. They will be painted as a true moderate we’d been asking for and everyone (conservatives, progressives, undecided), are aligning behind him because they’ll have to “polls” to prove it. The media will eat up such a story without many questions.