George Bush’s Great-Great-Great-Grandfather Was a Slave Trader

Via Taegan Goddard:

Twelve American presidents owned slaves, eight while serving in office, and at least 25 presidents count slave owners among their ancestors. But new historical evidence shows that a direct ancestor of George W. and George H.W. Bush was part of a much more appalling group: Thomas Walker was a notorious slave trader active in the late 18th century along the coast of West Africa. [...]

Walker, George H.W. Bush’s great-great-great grandfather, was the captain of, master of, or investor in at least 11 slaving voyages to West Africa between 1784 and 1792.

America! Fuck yeah!

This entry was posted in George W. Bush, History, Racism and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • dbtheonly

    The land of Opportunity.

    Interesting factoid.

  • Clancy

    My father asked me to look into the family’s history a few years back. At the time, he was primarily interested in locating land the family owned between the 1810s and 1950s in Illinois, to determine if his siblings retained ownership of the mining rights. As part of my research, I determined that our ancestors arrived in Illinois from Maryland. The patriarch of the family was the youngest son of a wealthy Maryland plantation owner who left to seek his fortune in Kentucky. With him, he brought 26 slaves that were (mostly) a wedding gift from his father. His family traveled with the family of a brother, who also left for Kentucky with 22 slaves. The brother stayed in Kentucky, but was financially ruined within a decade (for reasons that were unclear and tangential to my research, so I never pursued it), my ancestor sold his slaves and used the earnings to bolster his investment in farm land in Illinois.

    As someone trained to do history, I have always been one to not take history personally . . . even when it is personal. Still, there is a visceral, emotional reaction to realizing that those who essentially are responsible for your existence and the existence of those you love traded in human lives. That, in essence, the profit made from that trade allowed my ancestors to be prosperous and even mildly influential. I also recognize that it resulted in misery for all those (and their loved ones) that my family treated as chattel.

    America, it’s a strange and disturbing past we share.

    • MikkiChan

      A couple of years ago I assisted a lady in a genealogical search that led her to some very similar unsavory,and unsuspected, information. I always warn new researchers to be prepared to find out things you may not have wanted to know!

      I have a similar story. My surname traces back to a powerful South Carolina family that owned a large plantation there. Upon the death of the patriarch the slaves were inherited by the various children or sold. My family found the paperwork that describes who should be kept and who should be sold and in that detail we could see that they split up families–mothers from children, wives from husbands….My emotional reaction was visceral….I almost vomited when I read it. I don’t feel guilty that my ancestors did that primarily because the family fell out of power during the Civil War and no one in my family from that generation to now benefited in any way from that situation. BUT I do feel horrible that anyone should ever have to suffer so.

      More Americans than you know carry this legacy through no fault of their own.

  • http://simplelittleelectrician.blogspot.com/ paleotectonics

    HW seemed to have a sense of nobless oblige’,
    was nearly human. Not sure where he got it from, certainly his father was a
    horrible, evil bastard and traitor. Jeb seems to be of the same mold, p’raps,
    almost homo homo sapiens. Not that either of their political
    agendas were/are anything less than dreadful.

    Footie-pajamas and Silverado Neil are a reversion to the
    Prescott norm, true wastes of DNA, oxygen, amino acids, glorifying in the death
    and suffering of others. I’m sure Babsie had something to do with that. They
    had a human trafficker in their family tree? I am shocked, shocked I tells ya.

    Eh, this doesn’t phase me. I’m sure if you looked into anyone’s ancestry, you’ll find more than a few scumbags. There’s plenty of reasons to hate Bushes one and two based on their own actions. I don’t need to dig into their family dirt.

    “George Bush’s Great-Great-Great-Grandfather Was a Slave Trader”

    Hmmm… so was mine. Does that make me evil — or worse, related to Gee Dub?!?!?

    • mrbrink

      Not just common slave trading, or owning– but Captain of, Master of, and investor in the very ships that carried thousands. They were mass-slave traders.

      The Bush family represents an historical pattern in misery-profiteering at its worst.

      Kind of like the Forrest Gumps of misery.

      I’m pretty sure you didn’t also use your family’s NAZI connections to advance your parlayed human trafficking wealth to continuously attempt to seize power and inflict untold damage on the world, and with that smirking sense of stolen superiority.

      I really hope I’m correct about that, otherwise, you may very well be evil!!!!!!!

        /twirls pencil thin moustache/