GOA: Immigrants Are Coming to Take Your Guns

Earlier this week Larry Pratt, the executive director of Gun Owners of America, claimed that welfare dependent immigrants are coming to take away your guns, and what I would have considered to be a case of Pratt simply popping off is now a part of the organization’s official platform.

via RightWingWatch

In an action alert this week, GOA tells its members to call their senators and oppose immigration reform because if it passes “you could lose all your guns before 2035.”

“By 2035,” the alert warns, “the battle will no longer be about stopping the expansion of background checks. Most likely, it will be about stopping the government from coming to take your guns away.”

I would be remiss not to shine a light on the fact their concern apparently doesn’t include extending the same second amendment rights they have to incoming immigrants who go through the process of obtaining citizenship, but rather to block immigrants from immigrating in the first place.

I’ll let you draw your own conclusions from that.

Contending with xenophobic impulses in Congress is already enough to derail immigration reform, but if pro-gun organizations adopt the issue as their own, there may be no hope of passing it.

This entry was posted in Immigration, Racism and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • trgahan

    Well, when your whole argument for why the average citizen living in, crime statistic-wise, the safest country during the safest period in its history, needs access to military style weapons is so white people can defend themselves of the impending minority/immigrant uprising (WOLVERINES!) it is only natural move to join the immigration reform fight on the opposed side.

    It has nothing to do with gun companies making billions off a bunch of xenophobic chumps and the need for those same companies to keep the assault weapon pipeline to criminal organizations legal and flowing.