Illinois About To Give The Go Ahead To Fracking

This is just insane:

The Illinois House [and Senate] overwhelmingly approved a plan Thursday that would regulate high-volume oil and gas drilling in the state, hoping to kick-start an industry that proponents say could bring thousands of jobs to economically struggling southern Illinois.

Illinois’ regulatory bill, drafted with the help of industry and some environmental groups, has been touted as one of the toughest in the nation. But while supporters say hydraulic fracturing, or “fracking,” would generate tens of thousands of jobs, opponents — fearful that it could cause pollution and deplete water resources — have been pushing for a two-year moratorium to allow more time to study health and environmental issues.

Among the provisions in the proposed regulation are requirements that drillers publicly disclose the chemicals they use and that they test water before and after fracking. They also would be liable for any water pollution.

Energy companies are eyeing the New Albany shale formation in southern Illinois, where they believe there are significant oil reserves at depths of 5,000 feet or more.

To Hell with the studies! We need jobs!

My problem with this is that Illinois is home to 11 nuclear reactors that generate nearly half our power in the state, with several shut down, or decommissioned. My other problem is that these fracking lunatics are eyeing southern Illinois– where The New Madrid Fault Line runs right through southern Illinois.

Governor Pat Quinn said of the bill, “This legislation will unlock the potential for thousands of jobs in Southern Illinois, while ensuring that our state has the nation’s strongest environmental protections in place for this industry.”

This doesn’t bode well for environmentalists, jobs, or Illinois. And with the Obama administration still weighing the Keystone pipeline, psychopaths like Exxon/Mobil CEO Rex Tillerson arguing for more drilling, and fracking, and poking holes in the Earth because they say humanity and civilization depends on them fail miserably to see that whole cities are being swallowed right before our eyes due to the effects of severe climate change. The Arctic is opening up for passage. Unprecedented weather events due to the burning of fossil fuels are taking place.

Exxon-Mobil has been an energy industry-leading funding source for the suppression of the science as well as the promotion of greener technologies into cleaner energy and conservation that would actually save humanity, or at least give us a goddamn fighting chance. Energy corporations for decades have exploited humanity and continue to threaten the civilization of the entire planet using bribery, intimidation, fraud, and even war as an indirect means to protect their industry and massive profits, passing on the hidden costs of poisoning the land, air, and water to this humanity in which they speak.

The sad fact is, these disasters greatly contribute to higher gas and energy prices, disrupting supply lines and increasing demand, which inevitably leads to public outcry for “relief at the pump.” It’s a cycle of madness.

This is their humanity and civilization:

Oklahoma, 2013

Oklahoma, 2013

New Jersey Boardwalk; Hurricane Sandy. 2012

New Jersey Boardwalk; Hurricane Sandy– 2012

New Orleans; Hurricane Katrina-- 2005

New Orleans; Hurricane Katrina– 2005

Saviors of humanity.

This entry was posted in Energy, Environment, Epic Fail, Jobs and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    Among the provisions in the proposed regulation are requirements that drillers publicly disclose the chemicals they use and that they test water before and after fracking. They also would be liable for any water pollution.

    Good luck enforcing those provisions. Unless those companies are required to post bonds and carry insurance in amounts sufficient to pay for cleanup operations, the regulations don’t amount to a pinch of dust.

    One of the standard Righty/glibertarian/free-marketeer arguments is, or used to be, that industries fail because they don’t know what their business actually is: passenger railroads failed because they thought they were in the train business when they were actually in the transportation business; phone companies are failing because they think they were in the telephone business when they are actually in the communication business; and so on. It’s one of those things that’s trivially true but sounds profound if you don’t think about it too hard.

    I haven’t heard anyone say that oil companies are actually in the energy business and so will fail. Odd, that. (Would it be churlish of me to suggest that the oil companies have spent more money on lobbying and campaign contributions than have railroads or telcos?)

      Between record smashing profits and tax payer subsidies, the odds of any oil company failing in the near future are pretty nil.

      The latest righty myth is that the government shouldn’t be “picking winners and losers.” We heard that a lot in last year’s campaign. It’s bullshit, of course. What they really meant is that they want the government to pick the companies that had a century’s head start in the race to e the winners.

  • trgahan

    The jobs argument is total crap as well. Aside from a few hotel
    clerks, a bunch of maids and waitresses, a dozen short-haul truck drivers,
    and/or two dozen gas station attendants, don’t expect a 1/3 of the jobs any
    study promises. My guess is the people of southern Illinois (like the people of
    Wyoming in 2004 and Pennsylvania now) do not have the experience or training to
    contribute much on the high paying end of the exploration and production
    portion of oil/gas field development.

    These jobs will go to the same five “oil field services”
    companies based in Houston who will flood a town with their own teams of TX/LA/OK
    based roustabouts for the 9 months until all the wells are drilled then send
    them to the next area.