Keepin’ it Classy

A monument to a distant ancestor of Michelle Obama that was born into slavery has been knocked over at its resting place outside Atlanta.

From the Associated Press

REX, Ga. (AP) — Police in Georgia are investigating after a monument dedicated to one of first lady Michelle Obama’s relatives was knocked over in suburban Atlanta.

Clayton County Commissioner Sonna Singleton tells WSB-TV that a stone monument to Michelle Obama’s great-great-great-grandmother, Melvinia Shields, was pushed over and will need to be inspected for cracks. The report was aired Monday.

Officials say Shields was born into slavery in the mid-1800s and later settled in Rex, Ga., — about 15 miles southeast of downtown Atlanta.

Judging by this photo from WSB-TV, it clearly didn’t just fall over on its own.

ShieldsMonument

It obviously requires great courage to lurk in the night and deface a monument to a slave from the 1800s because they’re related to the First Lady.

This entry was posted in Ethics, Georgia, Michelle Obama and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Nefercat

    Distant descendant (ancestor)?

    • JMAshby

      Yes. In my haste I reversed myself. Thanks.

        Damn. Thought we had the first concrete evidence of time travel.

  • Mike_Norris

    We really are a profoundly racist country…I never wanted to believe that, but things like this grieve my heart.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Remember shortly after the 2008 election and there was all this hype about America becoming a “post racial” society. I knew it wouldn’t last. The combination of a black president and the anonymity of the internet has lured up the racism out from under the rock it had been hiding under since the demise of the Jim Crow era.

  • js hooper

    I’m sure Code Pink did it to protest Pres. Obama’s drone policy. (eyeroll)

  • muselet

    I was going to suggest the mouth-breathers responsible had no idea who Melvinia Shields was, but the AP says, “the county commission organized a celebration later this month to recognize Shields’ connection to the White House,” so they knew full well what they were doing. You crackers stay classy, now.

    (And I should know better than to dive into the fetid swamp of comments at Yahoo News. Criminy.)

      Yahoo comments are among the worst on the internet behind Fox Nation and Daily Caller.

      • muselet

        It’s distressing to realize there are that many nasty people walking around without adult supervision.

        –alopecia

      • MrDHalen

        I go there and check out the comments when I want to feel the darkside flow through me and get in touch with my Sith rage!

      • D_C_Wilson

        Absolutely. Other than a profanity filter, Yahoo does absolutely nothing to moderate those comments. It makes Reddit look gentile by comparison.

        • LeShan Jones

          It must be pretty bad if it beats out YouTube.

          What it really is is bomb throwers who know they will remain anonymous and will say whatever trollish thing comes into their empty skulls.

          • Lady Willpower

            It’s just bad in the opposite direction. I wouldn’t say it’s worse. Go check out any YouTube video that has to deal with Israel, and read those comments. You’ll quickly lose all faith in humanity.

    • Lady Willpower

      Yes avoid Yahoo at all costs.

      • Victor_the_Crab

        Yahoo seems to be a perfect description of all their bigoted microbrain viewers.

        • Lady Willpower

          Yahoo comments is where I first learned about using “NI66ER” to get around their profanity filters. Hilarious!
          Another good one is “knee grows.”
          You know how most conservatives say “we’re tired of you saying we’re racists?” Well on Yahoo they don’t bother trying to hide it.

  • ninjaf

    That should be classy, spelled with a KKK.

    ::facepalm::

  • GOVCHRIS1988

    I remember when they put it up. I said two things. One, it is great that people in Georgia have acknowledged that one of our most prominent first ladies lineage began here. Another thing I thought was, I hope the county makes damn sure to encase that stone in shatter proof, bulletproof, nonwritable, easy to clean glass melded to the ground. Knowing some white guys here, that stone won’t be up long without it.

    And here we are.

    Miserable bastards.