Keeping Up With The Gohmert

The GohmertThe perennially amusing Representative Louie Gohmert took today’s Supreme Court rulings on DOMA and Proposition 8 about as well as you would expect him to.

During a press conference following the release of the Supreme Court’s decision, Gohmert played the role of Doomsayer and prophesied that today will mark the beginning of the end of civilization as we know it. Which is odd, because I thought that time had already come on January 20, 2009.

Gohmert: Apparently they’ve been very cloistered, they were not aware, that the most wise man in history, Solomon, said there’s nothing new under the sun and [gay marriage] isn’t new and it’s been tried over and over and it’s usually tried at the end of a great civilization.

Just in closing I would remind you of the document that allowed the United States to claim its independence and be free as recognized by England, the treaty of Paris 1783. And if you will look at that document you will see big bold letters at the very top. Because put yourself in the place of the Americans. What would you make Britain swear under that they would be so afraid to go back on their word? What would you make them swear under that document that required England to recognize our independence?

What our founders came up with were these words; In the name of the most holy and undivided trinity. That’s why it started that way and they did not believe that even the adversaries in war would have the nerve to go against that.

What we now have is a holy quintet [the supreme court] that goes against the laws of nature and nature is god. And that’s very unfortunate.

You know who else swore an oath with their hand on the bible? The president who, last time I checked in with Gohmert, has profound sympathy for the Muslim Brotherhood and may or may not be a time-traveling alien from Mars.

In all seriousness — the rationale Gohmert uses for condemning today’s decision on DOMA, that it violates God’s word, is exactly why we have a separation of church and state and why the constitution is not read or interpreted as a religious document.

Today may mark the beginning of the end of civilization for Louie Gohmert, but it marks the beginning of the beginning for millions of other Americans who have been subjected to discrimination based on their sexual orientation.

No word on what impact today’s ruling will have on Gohmert’s asparagus.

This entry was posted in Religion, Wingnuts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Victor_the_Crab

    Ugh! Just reading or listening to anything Gohmert says for a long period of time will make you go crazy like him.

  • DetroitSam

    Every time I see Gohmert’s face or read something stupid he has said, one question comes to mind: What kind of woman would marry this man and allow herself to bear his children?
    Can’t imagine any sane and intelligent woman settling for this clown.

    • Nefercat

      I think you have the answer right there in your last sentence.

    • MrDHalen

      I think about the voters who support him. WTF people!!!

  • Clancy

    I wish these Christianist morons would study actual history instead of the garbage they foist upon unwitting kids in their backwater states. The “Holy Trinity” line was boilerplate language utilized in all treaties WITH Christian nations, such as England. When the U.S. entered into treaties with non-Christian countries, such as the Treaty of Tripoli, this language was completely absent. In fact, that treaty actually indicated that the U.S. was decidedly not a Christian nation.

    • muselet

      This. A thousand times this.

      –alopecia

    • Ipecac

      “That’s why it started that way and they did not believe that even the
      adversaries in war would have the nerve to go against that.”

      And that’s why no one has ever gone against the United States in war or otherwise.

      ::shakes head::

  • Nefercat

    “And if you will look at that document you will see big bold letters at the very top. Because put yourself in the place of the Americans. What would you make Britain swear under that they would be so afraid to go back on their word? What would you make them swear under that document that required England to recognize our independence?”
    “As Putin rears his head and comes into the airspace of the United States of America, where do they go? It’s Alaska. It’s just right over the border. It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there, they are right next to our state.”

    Do you see any difference between these two, uh, statements? Because I sure don’t.

  • D_C_Wilson

    I think Nancy Pelosi’s response to Bachmann should apply to Louis “Terror Babies” Ghomert.

    • blackdaug

      When Bachman’s husband finally explodes out of the closet, maybe she and Gomer can get together and breed. There is a blockbuster horror movie concept if I ever saw one…..

  • blackdaug

    From past experience, whenever I see a politician come out this vehemently against gays, I just wait for the inevitable story about him being caught with a rent boy, or in a bathroom stall…ect…
    But Gomer is just so stupid….and repugnant as an over all human….in his case, I don’t see it happening. He’s not complex enough to be repressing anything. Just a vapid, venal ignorant bigot.
    In a gerrymandered district full of vapid, venal ignorant bigots……..
    A walking talking poster boy for the banality of ignorance.

  • Draxiar

    Again, people can use religion to justify and terrible rationale or discrimination they want. Oh and I just *love* how they have God on speed dial to ask for divine opinion.