Keeping Up With The Gohmert

The GohmertWhile our attention may have been temporarily directed elsewhere, The Gohmert does not rest, and during a heartfelt speech on the floor of the House yesterday, Gohmert elaborated on why he is supportive of cuts to food stamps.

According to Louie Gohmert, the Republican fetish for kicking children off the SNAP rolls and taking away their free school lunches is justified because there are people out there buying gourmet crab with their food stamp cards. Also because there are obese people out there.

Gohmert: They talk about standing in line — I’ve heard this story so many times from people who are broken hearted about it, and sometimes get angry just thinking about what they’ve seen and what they’ve heard — but standing in line at a grocery store behind people with a food stamp card, and they looking in their basket as one individual said “I love crab legs. You know, the big King Crab legs. I love those. But we haven’t been able to have them in our house in who knows when.”

But I’m standing behind a guy who has those in his basket and I’m looking longingly like “when can I ever make enough again where our family can have something like that?” And then sees the food stamp card pulled out and provided. He looks at the King Crab legs and looks at his ground meat and realizes because he does pay income tax — he doesn’t get more back than he pays in — he is actually helping pay for the King Crab legs when he can’t pay for them himself. [...]

We don’t want anyone to go hungry. And from the amount of obesity in this country by people who we’re told do not have enough to eat, it does seem like we could have a debate about this issue without allegations about wanting to slap down or starve children.

We should cut $2 billion from the SNAP program because one of Louie Gohmert’s hopeless constituents claims he saw someone buy King Crab legs with food stamps.

I shouldn’t have to point out that this is not a thing that actually happens. You cannot buy King Crab legs with food stamps unless we’re talking about crab-flavored rice, beans, and peanut butter.

I can tell you from personal experience that financial insecurity plays a significant role in the quality of food one can purchase and thus maintain a healthy weight. And what one can buy with food stamps is hardly enough to feed you let alone make you obese.

I suspect that when Gohmert claimed his constituents have come forward with things they’ve seen and heard that made them angry, he was describing his own feelings. Or, alternatively, he was describing what the voices in his head have told him.

This entry was posted in Food, Wingnuts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Audio7

    Your last line=winner!

  • Christopher Foxx

    Gohmert has his conclusion. And now the voices are in search of the facts he needs to back it up.

  • Christopher Foxx

    I don’t think it was the buying of crab legs that bothers Louie so. I think it was the absence of asparagus. Clearly anyone who checks out without a nice bundle of asparagus is casting aspersions.

    • Nefercat

      Thank you. I needed that. :)

  • Ipecac

    Their whole world view is based on anecdotal evidence of the one mythical person.

    The welfare queen with a Cadillac who pumps out kids to get more government assistance. The job-stealing drug dealer who comes to America to vote and get awesome government benefits. The food stamp person who dines like a king while working people eat beans. The young slut who gets abortion after abortion because she has no sense of shame.

    Conservatives have devoted everything to defeating these mythical foes so that they can rest easier knowing that not even one dollar of their incredibly hard-earned taxes go to someone who might not deserve it.

    • Lady Willpower

      When you don’t have any actual evidence, the anecdotal kind will do just fine.
      I mean, we all do this to varying degrees in our regular lives, but this guy’s a fucking Congressman. He’s an elected official who’s deciding on actual legislation. And the only evidence he’s using is something that’s about as reliable as an e-mail chain letter.

      • Ipecac

        Yes, when the issue is cutting $2 billion a year from foodstamps, you need to do a little bit better than “some guy once told me”.

  • Zen Diesel

    The Republican Outreach initiative is working so well for the Insane Clown Posse.

  • muselet

    … I’ve heard this story so many times from people …

    He’s lying. Either that or his constituents are lying to him.

    And then sees the food stamp card pulled out and provided.

    He’s lying. A fair number of people receive SNAP benefits in my corner of the world. Unless someone waves the card around before swiping it—something I’ve never witnessed—nobody who’s not preternaturally nosy has any idea what kind of card is being used. Most of us just assume it’s a debit card.

    We don’t want anyone to go hungry.

    He’s lying.

    What a despicable creature.

    –alopecia

    • http://www.dlancystreet.com reginahny

      “Creature” says it all, succinctly.

  • Nefercat

    Fuck him, fuck him, fuck him. Perhaps the blind rage I am feeling right now is because I have been hungry. Hungry to a point that I don’t think I can describe to anyone who hasn’t been there.

    i remember as a child staring at a book with a picture of a marketplace in the Netherlands, showing a wagon with balls of cheese piled high. I could taste that cheese, I could imagine the taste. I remember being sprawled on my bed after school and work, too faint to stand upright.

    Fuck you Louie Gohmert. Roast in hell, you horrible horrible horrible horrible person. I hate you. I hate you. And there is no way on earth that you are a “Christian.”

    I can’t find the words I need. Sorry.

    • muselet

      I think you used exactly the right words.

    It wouldn’t be a surprise to find out that Louie Gohmert’s constitiuents explained all that crap to him. They’re just as stupid and batshit crazy as he is, because they’re the ones that keep sending this waste of oxygen to Washington every two years.

  • cowboyinbrla

    All valid points, except…. it’s true that people on food stamps do have higher rates of obesity. But that’s not because they’re indulging in King crab legs. It’s because healthy food – fresh vegetables, fresh chicken, fresh fruit – is so much more expensive than processed crap that delivers maximum calories for minimum price. Contrary to the myth that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, many of the most affordable foods – the stuff that poor people eat because it’s the only way to keep everyone in the family fed on a tight budget – contain empty calories with little or no nutritional value.

    It’s a cruel joke that the body types of the rich and poor have largely been inverted in the last century. In 1913, a woman who was 5’4″ and weighed 150 lbs was assumed to be prosperous because only the rich could afford to eat enough to get plump, much less fat. In 2013, the prosperous woman eats organic food and goes to a gym with a personal trainer and weighs 120 lbs, while the poor woman is more like 180 – with all the health complications of poor eating added to the tab.