Obama’s Climate Speech is a Big Effing Deal

So says Jonathan Cohn:

Even so, make sure you pay attention to what President Obama says on Tuesday, when he talks about climate change in a speech at Georgetown University. The announcement Obama makes is likely to be big f***ing deal—maybe even the biggest f***ing deal of his second term—although it’s not clear whether progressives will realize it, let alone how they’ll react.

Tuesday’s speech is expected to address climate change broadly—why it’s a threat not just to public health but also to the economy, how the administration plans to deal with it, and so on. But, as first reported by Juliet Eilperin in the Washington Post over the weekend, the big news will be something more specific. Obama will announce his intention to limit, via regulation, carbon pollution that comes from existing power plants.

I’m looking forward to it, but I always cringe when he says “all of the above energy strategy” because this and this. Hopefully it won’t make an appearance this time.

This entry was posted in Energy, Environment, President Obama and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    I’m very hopeful for this speech and to see what the proposals will be. I also hope that what is put forward doesn’t justify approving the Keystone XL.

    • Christopher Brannon

      Yeah, my sense of it is that this speech was throwing a bone to the left as cover for the about to be approved pipeline. I hope I’m wrong though.

      • Draxiar

        I hope you’re wrong too.