Paul Clement’s Failure Was Seen Coming Miles Away

(Charles Dharapak / AP Photo)

As you may recall, Paul Clement was the man chosen by House Republican leadership to defend the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) in court to the tune of millions of dollars. And not to toot my own horn, but his failure was seen coming as long ago as January.

The arguments he presented in court were so bad they could have been misconstrued as an argument for gay marriage. And for his troubles, House Republicans increased the amount money available to him three separate times.

Ian Millhiser of ThinkProgress pegs the final cost at $2.3 million, but what’s really remarkable is that this is not the first, or even the second, very high profile case that Clement failed to win recently.

Paul Clement was also hired by the National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB) to litigate NFIB vs Sebelius, the case which decided the fate of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare). He also failed to defend key sections of Arizona’s “Papers Please” anti-immigration law, SB1070, on behalf of Governor Jan Brewer.

He’s 0 for 3.

But reality being what it is, I’m sure his losing streak won’t prevent him from being hired to litigate more high profile cases. And perhaps we should hope that it doesn’t.

You’re doing great.

This entry was posted in Justice, Supreme Court and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • RamOrgan

    Hey, even losing causes on the wrong side of history deserve expensive, incompetent legal representation.

  • Lady Willpower

    Heck of a job, Paulie.

  • Joyce M

    I’ve always seen marriage equality as an equal protection under the law issue.

  • Kerry Reid

    There’s nothing like a fiscally prudent conservative. Seriously, there’s nothing like it. They’re like unicorns.

    Clement is laughing all the way to the bank, I’m sure. And he’ll be doing it probably for the rest of his career, kind of like Karl Rove.

  • muselet

    Wikipedia sez:

    Paul Drew Clement (born June 24, 1966) is a former United States Solicitor General and current Georgetown University law professor. He is also an adjunct professor at New York University School of Law.

    I’ve made this joke before, but I hope students in his classes get a deep discount on tuition.

    Toot-toot! Is that gay? I’m gay now, aren’t I?

    It’s already begun!! The takeover is spreading! AHHHHHHHH!

    Save yoursellllhello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gal…

    I’m always suspicious of people who use the word “homosexual.”

    But if today they’re saying, “dang it, I love my homosexual kinfolk,” I think it’s okay.

  • Christopher Foxx

    I think conservative causes should keep right on hiring him. Hell, I’ll donate as long as they keep him.