Quote of the Day

“These men that voted to strip the Voting Rights Act of its power, they never stood in unmovable lines. They never had to pass a so-called literacy test. It took us almost 100 years to get where we are today. So will it take another 100 years to fix it, to change it?” -Rep. John Lewis (D-GA) on the Voting Rights Act

Nothing to add.

This entry was posted in Quote, Supreme Court and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

    This makes me want to cry.

    • mdblanche

      It makes me want to fight back.

        Me too. But, when I think of all that John Lewis and so many others have been through, I feel so sad that they had to see this day in history.

        It’s a disgrace.

  • trgahan

    Nope just start loyally voting Republican and this will all go away….

  • missliberties

    This is a travesty.

    I can’t decide which is worse, Bush vs Gore or this Supreme Court decision.

    Truly truly sickening.

    • MrDHalen

      Different court with no Bush vs Gore.

    • http://www.livingenergy.abmp.com/ KanaW

      Actually, there are three that fight for the bottom tier in my mind:
      1. Citizens United
      2. Bush V Gore
      3 This one.
      Sigh. Sometimes I despair.

  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    Gerrymandering, voter suppression, blatant lies and dirty tricks seem to be the only ways for the GOP to stay alive in today’s America. Despite their enormous media system, their mega-donors and evangelical influence, I’m wondering how long they think they can keep getting away with what they’re doing. The seamy underbelly is now exposed for the entire nation to see and it’s evil and un-American.

    I could be wrong, but this may only keep red states red a little longer and sway upcoming midterms when Democrats generally have low turn outs, but in the long run republicans and their failed ideology are in a death spiral as Lindsay Graham admitted. And these sleazy anti-democracy maneuvers may just wake a sleeping giant and give them a hell of a backlash. At least I hope so.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      They’ll get away with it, as long as the voting public remains deeply apathetic and uninterested, and believes both parties are equally corrupt and up to no good. So they decide to stay at home on voting day or vote for a third party, thereby, and inadvertently, giving Republicans election victories. This would be known as “Going Greenwald”.

      The troubling thing is, if and/or when the public finally wakes up about Republican shenanigans, it may be too late, and the GOP have completely rigged the system where they’ll remain in power forever.