Reince Preibus Taking Credit For Leading On Immigration Reform

Reince Priebus talking about the GOP’s attempts at Hispanic outreach and the Republican party’s “leadership” on immigration reform, said of the bill yet-to-pass The Crazy House:

“We need a solution that strengthens families. We need a solution that expands economic opportunity. And one of the reasons we need improved border security — that is not mentioned enough — is to further prevent violence and drug trafficking… and the brutal human trafficking and exploitation of women and girls,” he said at the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials conference.

Priebus added that it’s “important that Republicans are taking a lead in this policy discussion.”

And that solution involves 700 additional miles of wall, and that solution will be final! You know? for kids!

It’s funny that Priebus hits on all the GOP’s targets for fake-outreach in one sentence(women and minorities)to promote 2000 miles of wall and tanks on the border. Because walls are all about expanding economic opportunity and preventing bad stuff from happening to good people, otherwise the Mexicans win.

The Republican party didn’t even take the lead in the Senate, as the bill passed with a majority of Senate Republicans voting against reform by a margin of 32-14.

Lead, follow, or act like racist, obstructionist lunatics and call it, “leading!

Mexico’s Secretary of Foreign Affairs is at odds with Reince Priebus and the GOP’s West Side Story stab at outreach:

“We are convinced that fences do not unite [both nations],” Meade said. “The enlargement of this wall is not congruent with plans to create a modern and secure border, and to develop the region.”

Meade thanked the U.S. government for the bill’s main aim: trying to establish a legal status for millions of undocumented immigrants living in the U.S., many of whom are Mexican. But he said that plans for increased fencing and patrolling – which have been attached to immigration reform efforts by conservative politicians – would hamper commerce along the border and disrupt the lives of 14 million people who live in counties on either side of the fence.

“Our country has let the U.S. government know that measures which will affect the links between communities do not coincide with the principles of good neighborship and shared responsibility,” Meade said in typical diplomatic parlance.

Well played, Republicans. You’re walling us in to alienate our neighbor.

Democrats have based reform upon DREAM Act ideals. Republicans are promoting nightmares and calling it, “leadership!”

If they say it enough times in español, they seem to think that no one will notice that they’ve anchored the worst in humanity to a noble endeavor.

This entry was posted in Far-right Intellectual Violence, Immigration, Lying Liars, Quote, Racism, Rebranding, Republican Party, Security, Stupid Party, Wingnuts, Worst Persons and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • blackdaug

    ….but on the up side, it will shove millions of unnecessarily spent dollars into the pockets of a variety of defense contractors (at at time when immigration is at net zero, and more people are being cruelty rounded up and deported than ever before) while placating a few of the mouth breathing troglodytes at the bagger base whose proposed solutions have including “shooting them all”, or erecting “high voltage electric fences” (electrocuting them all).
    In order to become more cartoon-ishly villainous in their attempts to solve non-existent problems
    (voter fraud…border invasions..ect) Republicans will have to all grow long handle bar mustaches and twirl them while cackling maniacally, and just replace Reince at press conferences with a 5 second gif of Snidley Whiplash…..

  • drsquid

    Republicans? Leading?

    It’s a fiction.

  • joseph2004

    Maybe Sr. Meade can explain why so many of Mexico’s citizens feel compelled to leave their country, and maybe he can explain what he’s doing about it, beyond, that is, getting a rise out of MrBrink.

    • muselet

      Have you learned the difference between reporting and opinion yet, joseph, or are you still struggling with the concepts?

        He continues to struggle.

      • joseph2004

        What would you like me to report on?

        • muselet

          Oh, joseph, if only you were as witty as you think you are instead of being half-witty.

          –alopecia

    • blackdaug

      Maybe “Sr.Meade” would explain that….if he were addressing a group of….children…or simpletons and their “ilk”.

      • joseph2004

        It’s funny how Mexico never gets any scrutiny by the left on the immigration issue. It’s always the US’s fault.

        • blackdaug

          Your definition of funny….is funny

          • joseph2004

            Maybe if I put it in quotes…. “funny”

          • blackdaug

            nah..”a puts in quotes” doesnt help

          • joseph2004

            Whatever.
            So, what do you think? Should Mexico be responsible for its citizens, or should the US be responsible for Mexico’s citizens?

          • Lady Willpower

            Mexico is a failed state. Its citizens can hardly be blamed for wanting to leave. We -as the Land of Opportunity- should be only too happy to welcome hard-working people who want to improve their lives. Isn’t that what this country is all about?
            No? This country is actually about screaming “FUCK YOU GO HOME?” and building our own version of the Berlin Wall? Huh.

          • joseph2004

            Who’s blaming them? Not me. I’m suggesting holding Mexico’s leadership responsible. Isn’t it their responsibility? And Mexico is not the “failed state” you claim. It’s got resources; it’s got hard working people; but the political reality prevents the country (and its people) from flourishing. So, why not put pressure on those responsible?

          • Lady Willpower

            Afghanistan has resources, too. Doesn’t stop them from being a failed state. Resources alone are not enough. You need good govt. and good infrastructure. Mexico has neither.

            Really, what “pressure” are we supposed to exert on Mexico? Hold them up against the wall and say “Be a better country OR ELSE!?”

          • blackdaug

            What was I thinking? Of course it’s the Mexican governments fault that millions of it’s citizens are brutalized and exploited while working in this country every day.
            Glad you cleared that up for me.

          • joseph2004

            Brutalized. rrrrrrrrrrriiiight. Exploited? Sure, I’ll buy that.
            But, if the roles were reversed and Americans were fleeing to Mexico for a better life, would you hold Mexico responsible for conditions and political corruption in the US, or… the US?

          • blackdaug

            If the roles were reversed, I would hold the Mexican government responsible for the treatment of U.S. citizens in Mexico. Does that answer you inane hypothetical?

          • joseph2004

            Nope. Don’t you believe Mexico should be responsible for the welfare of its own citizens at home? Should the goal not be to move Mexico in a direction that results in Mexico’s citizens wanting to stay home rather than flee?

          • blackdaug

            “If only those Mexicans were smart enough to govern themselves in a way that comported with my simplistic concept of the this situation, everything would be great!”
            Is that what you are trying to say???
            Because that is all I am seeing from you…..

          • joseph2004

            No, I’m saying that if the elitists running the Mexican government (and who have been for decade upon decade) were exposed as the real obstacle to a prosperous Mexico that they are and have been, we’d see the needle move for the better down there.
            The current debate over immigration in the US is fluff. It’s got the two parties hammering out who’s a devil and who isn’t. Mexico looks on and chuckles at how it’s got all of us running around arguing about who, between the two parties, is the best suited to play nanny for Mexico’s fleeing masses. Ha Ha Ha.

          • muselet

            You really believe that the Mexican people don’t recognize the institutional corruption in their government and society?

            No, that’s not condescending at all.

            You, sir, are a pinche idiot.

            –alopecia

          • joseph2004

            Are you just totally bonkers? Of course they see it. They feel helpless to do anything about it. Come out of your bubble for a second and read what I’ve been saying. It’s not the people fleeing Mexico I’m criticizing, it’s the political elites who have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo. Why to you think the Mexican government encourages its poor and uneducated to leave the country? It’s because the government gets rid of “a problem,” the problem of future malcontents, and of political upheaval from below. They send them north. And having sent them north, Mexico can sit back and watch us argue over their fate. What a great game, alopecia, and why do we let Mexico play us for the fools we seem to be?

          • muselet

            No, I’m saying that if the elitists running the Mexican government (and who have been for decade upon decade) were exposed as the real obstacle to a prosperous Mexico that they are and have been, we’d see the needle move for the better down there.

            Those are your words, the (condescending) implication of which is that the Mexican people don’t understand the elites running the country are corrupt. Now you claim you didn’t actually write what you wrote and that the people really do know and feel helpless.

            And since a lot—possibly a majority—of the people coming to the US from Mexico are here to work and make some money before going home again, the rest of your analysis makes no sense.

            I stand by my earlier statement: you, sir, are a pinche idiot.

            –alopecia

          • joseph2004

            igualmente

          • mrbrink

            Two words:

            Manifest Destiny.

            I’m sure if Mexico still had the Rio Grande boundary for Texas, the entire state of California, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, and Colorado you wouldn’t be disparaging their circumstances.

          • joseph2004

            So, we’re back to “It’s the US’s fault.”
            Why apologize for Mexico?

  • muselet

    “And one of the reasons we need improved border security — that is not mentioned enough — is to further prevent violence and drug trafficking… and the brutal human trafficking and exploitation of women and girls.”

    No, no, it’s not about keeping brown people out of our white country. Perish the thought!

    Exactly who does Reince Priebus believe is going to buy into such transparent nonsense (apart from other Republicans, that is)?

      “Exactly who does Reince Priebus believe is going to buy into such transparent nonsense (apart from other Republicans, that is)?”

      Oh, I don’t know, Alo……..the emoprogs are pretty dense.

      • muselet

        Even they’re not that dense (he said hopefully).

          I wish I shared your opinion. :)

    • blackdaug

      Yes, I suppose having them starve or die of exposure outside a giant concrete barrier does “prevent” the “problem” Reince saw on a recent Frontline. ….